Cucumber Advice needed and Marketmore mystery!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WoodyLord
KG Regular

Hi,
My father in law always grows us a Petita Cucumber which is great but my kids love them so much I really need another full size cucumber plant in the GH. I grew the free Marketmore seeds in 2007 (april freebie) in the GH all summer and they were smooth, thin skinned and totally delicious. So 2008 I buy a packet of marketmore - they are spiny and not so great and I look on the web - is there another version and I bought the wrong one? I then realise they are an OUTDOOR variety. Ooops. (maybe the weather and keeping them in a GH was the major issue here!)

Any recommendations for an indoor cucumber which will tolerate a bit of a lack of TLC (busy working mum etc etc) and will not succumb to every disease/pest going but will have that freebie marketmore deliciousness?? Prefer non-spiny. And did anyone else have the same experience? I really wish now I'd eaked out that original packet as I grew them all in 07 and sold the unwanted plants for charity - DOH!
Thanks v much - love the seed swap idea too - will have to get organised.
Cheers, Helen
CatBud
KG Regular

The marketmore cucumbers I have grown in the past have been prickly but I do think there may be a smooth variety as well-may be the indoor variety.

Cat
WoodyLord
KG Regular

Thank you so much for the reply - still humming and haa-ing about what to buy. Also your response explains what happened. Pippa Greenwood's book recommends Telegraph Improved and Tyria as indoor ones.
Found Tyria at:
http://www.laurasorganics.co.uk/results.php?prodid=484
As an all female flowering one I'm prob best with that as bound to miss pinching out the male flowers. Many thanks. Helen
CatBud
KG Regular

I'm sure I read somewhere that you leave both the male and female parts on on the outdoor varities.

Good luck! :D
WoodyLord
KG Regular

Thanks - will check it out.
Happy gardening (not today though - here too cold/windy/mis).
Helen
loopie
KG Regular

Telegraph improved always provide me with long, smooth cucumbers without a bitter taste. I had no luck with marketmore myself!
WoodyLord
KG Regular

Thanks - if Tyria doesn't work out (have got the seeds now - very quick delivery from Lauras Organic seeds) will try Telegraph Improved next year.
All the best,
Helen
bazza1979
KG Regular

i grew marketmore outside last year and i'm sorry to say i neglected them a little however they still produced a bumper crop the fruit was prickerly but i just rubbed it off???!!
WoodyLord
KG Regular

Thanks, do you think the outside ones taste as good as greenhouse ones? (I'm running out of space on my plot - went a bit mad with seed potatoes this year - couldn't resist some oddities esp as you don't really need to do much to them once they are in).
Cheers,
Helen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic