Cucumber looking sick

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mazmezroz
KG Regular

I planted some cucumber seeds in Feb, which grew away lovely jubly.

Now however, they look a little, um, floppy. They are well watered, and are on my windowsill in the lounge.

Any ideas for what I've done wrong?
paul.r

its probably the "well watered " bit that is the problem Mazmezroz, cues are a bit touchy about water around the base of the stem. Once you get them to the planting out stage the advice is normally to plant on a mound or raised slightly from the main compost level.Yours seem to have succumbed prior to this stage...rgds paul. keep the water away from the stem if you try some more, theres plenty of time.
Tigger
KG Regular

Try mounding up dry soil around the stem - worked for me last year - all survived and flourished.
Allan
KG Regular

I know this one only too well. If I expect trouble I use something like traditional copper fungicide. I think there is still something similar but systemic which is better. If you are going to lose it anyway you might try cutting the good bit off and striking it as a cutting.
Carole B.
KG Regular

Probably short of light too,even a window does not offer enough light to prevent etiolation(posh word for getting a bit too long).Just a thought do you shut them behind the curtains at night? they could be getting cold if you do.
Carole.
David
KG Regular

I think there was something in this months or last months mag. about this - the 'what to do on your plot this month' section.

Basically I think you are too early.

Hope this helps

David
Allan
KG Regular

re. too early, you must sow no more than a month before you need the plants i.e.end of April/beginning of May unless you have heat in the house.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic