Poly tunnel advice please.

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Gerry
KG Regular

Good evening all,
I bought a polytunnel last September but am just erecting it now.

I have decided to use mesh at the bottom on both sides and ends although I didn't buy it like this. I have concreted the ground tubes in and intend to use the type of mesh used around scaffolding.

Do you think that this material will do and how high do you think I should have the mesh?
I could also use it double if there was any advantage in doing this as I have a large roll of it.

I contacted Northern Polytunnels, which is where I got it from, to order the fittings to attach the base and side rails and these were going to cost about £70 but when they told me that carriage would be over £30 I told them to forget it.
Therefore any thoughts on attaching these would be helpful. The corners are posing the greatest problem.

All help and thoughts will be gratefully received.

Best regards, Gerry.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gerry,
I have several tunnels that have a 1 metre skirt of anti-whitefly netting all round and netted at both ends.
At 1 metre from the ground, using exhaust clamp fittings, I fitted a 3" wooden rail which accommodates not only the polythene cover but the attachment for the skirt and another rail at ground level. Both the polythene and the AWN are held by wooden battens using screws to fix which means that adjustments to tension are easily carried out. Because my tunnels are commercial the poles are 60mm wide but I do not know the size of your poles. This method will work for sure also on 50mm poles but am not sure of any size below that as I do not think the exhaust clamps would be fit for purpose.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
JB.
richard p
KG Regular

on a smaller frame a suitable sized jubilee clip would probably do .
Gerry
KG Regular

Thank you Johnboy and Richard. My ground tubes are 28mm and the hoops are 32mm so as you say the exhaust clamps wont do unless I can get them in those sizes. Good idea about the jubilee clips Richard, thanks.

Johnboy I will make the net sides 1 meter high as you suggest and I intend to cover the doors with mesh. As you didn't comment on the suitability of the mesh which I intend using I presume it will be OK. It is supposed to be 40% wind break material. If used double would this significantly increase the wind break properties do you think, yet still give good ventilation?

I will visit the local builders suppliers and the electrical wholesalers to see what they have for securing conduit. Maybe I will find something useful there.

Thanks for all the help. Johnboy what would we do without you.

Regards, Gerry.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gerry,
Because I use anti white fly netting it means that the windbreak effect is reduce to an absolute minimum. I really think that you need a netting with more of a wind reduction. The trouble is that the smaller the mesh the higher the price! However using net will give protection and very good ventilation especial in the canopy of the tunnel. In tunnels the heat collects in the canopy and as the day progresses descends onto the plants, sometimes with devastating effects. In my tunnels without net sides I have extractor fans which are good but very expensive. The great difference between us is that what I did was for profit and the profit paid the bills and you want to produce for yourself and there must come a time when your pocket will call a halt.
With the clips; 32mm is a standard plumbing size here in the UK but I do not know the plumbing sizes in ROI. The only snag with these type of clips is that they are meant only to hold a pipe to the wall and not really bear any weight. The clips will have to be of metal and maybe a self tapping screw into the tube might suffice.
JB.
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy,
It had crossed my mind to consider using self tappers into the tubes but was worried that this may weaken the pipe too much. 32mm is standard plumbing size here too but clips for the 28mm may prove more difficult. Another option is to use coach bolts through the 4x2 passing either side of a tube and then through a short piece of oak (I had oak floors fitted a while ago and have loads of off cuts).

Regarding the wind break material I think this is what Northern Poly-tunnels use so I think I'll give it a go.
Thanks again
Regards, Gerry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic