Spuds, Carrots & Blueberries

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

RoRo
KG Regular

No - not a Masterchef recipe but this years questions for my knowledgable fellow gardeners.

Firstly - does putting fleece over potatoes help to reduce blight - a large commercially grown field nearby covers his potatoes with fleece, wondered why.

Secondly - I remember somebody saying that they diluted vinegar to help with acidity on their blueberries - what is the dilution strength

Lastly - can you transplant carrots grown in guttering - I know about thinning out but can these thinnings then be planted. Accepted that you can't do this with parsnips hence the question.

Many thanks in advance - will think of more questions for next year !!
Beryl
KG Regular

I wouldn't grow carrots in guttering. You will end up with curly roots.
Be patient and wait till the soil warms up and sow direct. Use fleece to cover them and protect from the dreaded carrot fly.

I've never put fleece over potatoes. It wouldn't be practicable on the lottie. we have too much wild-life.

Don't know about the vinegar - I would be wary about that one but I am sure someone will know.

Beryl.
peter
KG Regular

Vinegar is acetic acid, but as for its use as a soil additive in gardening I am unsure.

There are back-of-the-sunday-papers adverts that proclaim 1001 miracle uses for vinegar, or 1002 if you put it on your chips. :roll:

I have used it myself to clean very tarnished brass furniture handles and it work an absolute treat. Remove from furniture, ensure no varnish on, insert in glass or plastic bowl/jug and cover with vinegar, leave to soak checking progress frequently.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

When were the potatoes covered? Protect from frost -yes, from blight I would say - no.
Save the vinegar for your chips.
Save the gutters for your peas.
RoRo
KG Regular

Many thanks - will stick to 1st & 2nd Earlies to avoid blight, peas in guttering already and off to the Chippie for tea tonight - an original excuse "the experts on Kitchen Garden told me too".
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi RoRo,
It would be a great advantage if we all knew just whereabouts you live for you to get the accurate advice. Just the area nothing more specific.
I live in NW Herefordshire at an altitude of 500ft and the Potatoes grown here are 2nd earlies grown as main crop. They are planted up to the middle of May and harvested in late September and October.
Now this information is particular to this area but may be entirely inappropriate for where you live.
JB.
Angi
KG Regular

Vinegar is used as a weedkiller by some people. If you spray it onto weeds on a sunny day it kills them (can't quite remember how - something to do with water evaporation from the leaves). Apparently vodka has the same effect. What a waste!
RoRo
KG Regular

Johnboy

I'm a South Devon man, so usually start things a bit earlier than some, but with the rainfall we do get a lot of blight hence the question on fleece. Don't want to use chemicals and have tried the Sarpo varieties but don't overrate them. (Come to sunny Devon where it rains six days out of seven - goes the rythmn !!)

I come up to Hereford a few times a year, to Monnington on Wye with the Morgan horses, on our drive rounds later in the year we see lots of tractors and trailers full of potatoes - and sometimes bring back a bag or two).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic