PLOT SIZE

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

AnneThomas
KG Regular

Just wondering what size plots people are working on. I know some of you have very large spaces but I also know quite a few have small plots.

I have been out and measured mine this afternoon - in the Cornish rain. All part of improving my planning and not wasting seeds/plants etc. I have 4 veg beds giving a total of 129.4 sq ft - sorry I haven't gone metric yet. :oops: Each individual bed ranges in size from 27.5 sq ft to 37.25 sq ft. This is purely for veg - I have a separate area for fruit which is a bit chaotic at the moment and is planned to be re-organised and netted.

On top of the 'bed' space, I will be growing early potatoes in pots, and things like tomatoes and aubergines will be in pots. I also plan to extend a smallish bit to go under a cloche for salads.

I am just growing for 2 of us, and replanned and extended the area late last year, repositioning and rebuilding my beds. My seed potatoes are now in and ready for collection along with a load of new seeds. Beginning to itch - but my 'plot' is currently under a couple of inches of rain. :(
Geoff
KG Regular

I have 7 beds each 10'x25', a half bed 5'x25' and new this year a 10'x10' (the other 10'x15' of this is my Comfrey bed) in my main veg garden. Last year I also dug a patch 10'x20' in a damp part of the orchard that trees didn't like, I used it for Pumpkins and Squashes but it didn't do very well - might have been a combination of the freshness and the season so I shall review whether to put it back to grass in a couple of years. I also have a fruit cage about 25'x35' divided into beds. All my beds are divided by concrete paths.
Related to your other post on planning. I have a plan of all this in Microsoft Visio. Each year I create a new page for the year and plan what I am going to do, at the end of the year I edit it to what I have actually done! I keep two special pages called "Potato History" and "Lime History" so I can see at a glance which are my next main potato and brassica beds (I have club root). I have Visio pages back to 1996. I keep prints in a ring binder so I have a Winter evening deciding where to put things by looking back then enter it on the computer. I also keep a fresh diary each year, I plan sowings etc. in pencil (pencilling them in!) and record what I do in ink. I note odd weather and wildlife events as well. I have those going back even more years.
Sad maybe, but there you go.
AnneThomas
KG Regular

Thank you Geoff.

Blimey - my plot is a postage stamp compared to yours - but then I don't think I would actually need that much space - perhaps just a little more than I have got :!: As our lease is up in a year or two and we'll have to move out, there's not a lot of point in putting much more effort into expanding.

My comfrey bed is crammed into a very narrow space, probably 9" wide and 3' long. It's also in the shade of an oak tree but I get 3 cuttings a year and have so far produced as much as I need. When I revamp my fruit bed I may try and create a bit more space for this.

I've not heard of visio so might look into that although I mostly don't use microsoft anymore for software. I have started a trial of the planning tool and it looks good at first sight. It records your annual plans and then tells you where not to plant things the next year to keep the rotation going. One drawback I have already found is that you are restricted to their planting distances from which it works out how many plants you want. Still its worth a try and I've had some fun on this very wet afternoon drawing pretty pictures.

I don't think planning and recording are sad - or at least I am happy to join the 'sad' club if they are. :D I always find planning a fun thing to do. I have kept some records over the last couple of years, but they are not consistent. I do have a ring binder in which I store information - like recommended varieties and growing tips. It sounds a good idea to record weather and wildlife - we'll all certainly have some weather to record already for 2009.

I am determined to do better this year - at growing and recording.
Geoff
KG Regular

At least I've stopped weighing all the yields!
Not sure if there is an Open office equivalent to Visio - I'll investigate.
AnneThomas
KG Regular

Crumbs - don't say that. I am planning on weighing the yields :lol:
Geoff
KG Regular

Part of Open Office (free) is OpenDraw which is supposed to be the equivalent of Visio but I don't know a user (I think my son has Open Office but he hasn't replied yet).

http://openoffice.3-suite.com/index.asp ... &se=google
AnneThomas
KG Regular

Hi Geoff - I have OpenOffice and hadn't even looked at the draw package. I will try and make time to do so. Thanks for spotting that.
bighughie
KG Regular

I use Grow veg .co.uk which we find is realy good it keeps a record of your crops a where you put them Give it a try you get 30 days free when you start
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic