rootgrow

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Hi, has anybody tried a product called "Rootgrow". I have seen it used on Gardeners world on several occasions, but do not know if it of any use to vegetable growers.

The Mycorrhizal fungus is said to help plants establish better when planting out.

There is not much planting going on here at the moment, the soil still covered in a thick layer of snow, and when it eventually melts no doubt we will have flooding. The life of an allotmenteer is a trick one.

Thanks

Tracie :?:
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Colin_M
KG Regular

I have used a couple of different Mycorrhizal fungus products. I'd have to say that I can't definitively say how much difference it made.

However there was an interesting article in the Garden Organic magazine a couple of years ago about them. Some researcher had looked into their use in Spain, where drought is an increasing problem. They'd had very beneficial results from using them.

In addition there's loads of other scientific research on how important Mycorrhizal fungi are for the food & water uptake of many plants & trees. What may be harder to prove in a garden setup is how much benefit you'd actually see & whether the cost feels worthwhile. If anyone's tried planting some crops both with and without & can share the results that would be interesting.
tracie
KG Regular

Hi Colin,

thanks for your reply. I think I might just do as do as you suggested and do a trial with some lettuce. It is always interesting to do and try something new every year. I will post my results so everybody can see.

I like your photos :P

Thanks

Tracie
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is aimed at shrubs and trees; I always use it if possible when planting things like that as I saw what an amazing effect it had on a dahlia I planted three years ago
Colin_M
KG Regular

tracie wrote:I like your photos :P

You're welcome! They haven't been updated for a while.....

MKPoshfan, I've actually seen different packets of rootgrow, some aimed at trees & shrubs, and some for plain veg. You're right in that some plants definitely respond more to the funghi.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic