Propagation Advice Please

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

geacher
KG Regular

Hi,

For the first year ive got a propagation mat in a heated greenhouse and im not 100% sure what im doing, Ive put aubergines on the mat in cells at about 20c also salad heads like lollo rosso, oak leaf and green batavia.

In the heated greenhouse (about 15c) in cells Ive put beetroot boltardy, leeks and broad beans. Any advice on if these should work or how to maintain them best would be great.

Also any advice on other veggies or herbs i could start to propagating now to put either in my garden or polytunnel.

Thank You
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geacher,
I consider that 20C may be fine for Aubergines but for Lettuces it is far too high. If as you say you temp in the greenhouse is 15C that that alone will be ideal for Lettuces. These Lettuces will come on very quickly and suggest that you grow them in pots in the greenhouse because they will be ready to eat a very long time before you will be able to plant them out.
By the way if Lettuces are subjected to too high a temperature they will simply lock up and not germinate. At around 25C some lettuces will lock up and then they will germinate around mid October.
Never store seed in a greenhouse always find somewhere cool.
JB.
geacher
KG Regular

Thank you very much for the advice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic