How do I install an arch?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

kranser
KG Regular

I have just bought a cheap steel-rod arch to grow plants on.

However, the instructions I got with it do not say how I should install it in the ground - and particularly, how I can protect it from falling over in the wind.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kranser.
Angi
KG Regular

I just pushed mine into the ground. I have a very windy plot and my arch seems to have stayed put. Once plants are growing on it they will help to anchor it.
kranser
KG Regular

Thanks Angi.

How far did you need to push it in? About a meter (to the first horizontal bar)? Or not even that far?

Kranser.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Kranser

I have a couple of wrought iron arches which I pushed into the ground. I pushed them down until they felt reasonably stable and I would guess the depth would depend on the soil structure. Mine are only in a couple of inches, have clematis and roses growing over them and have never moved in years.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Kranser,

When I received a couple of cheap oblesks as a present I bought some gavanised tubing, into which the oblisk tubes would fit (as I considered that the cheap tubing would rust through very quickly when in the ground). I knocked these galvanised tubes into the ground until firm, inserted the thinner tube, drilled through both tubes and inserted a nail which I then bent over. I then painted the oblesks with Hammerite and they are now into their seventh year and looking good.

Hope you can understand this.
Regards, Gerry.
Angi
KG Regular

Hello again. I pushed mine in as far as the first horizontal bar; not a metre, more like 60cm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic