Corriander fighting the frosts

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

garden_serf
KG Regular

I am new to the forum (hello all :D ), and I have been reading KG now for approx 3 years. I have a huge healthy clump of Corriander growing in a raised bed that has fought off about 8 hard frosts so far. I am trying to decide whether to; move it into my unheated greenhouse, cut it all/store and start again or keep it and cover it up where it stands. Any experiences to share in this situation? I am using it weekly in curries etc and am hoping it will keep going but I presume the frost will win in the end.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear garden_serf, firstly a warm welcome to the forum.

Regarding your Coriander, since it's an annual and also doesn't appreciate being transplanted, i think i would leave it where it is.
Maybe you could harvest half of it, then if you could offer it some protection in the form of a cloche it might continue to provide you with more leaves.

If it has produced any seed this year and these have fallen to the ground then you should get some seedlings appearing next year.
If not you will have to start again with fresh seed.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
garden_serf
KG Regular

Thankyou for your welcome meassage.
Of course... I have been duped by the fact that it is so healthy and prolific, I forgot completely that it was an annual :oops: . I will harvest and store while I still can. This clump has not produced seed (yet). I grew another clump specifically for seed earlier in the year which was harvested in July. Prior to that the hoverflies and bees loved it.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear GS,
if planted late, as your coriander probably was, it will act as a biennial. So you can leave it where it is for now, cover it with a cloche if you want, but it is very hardy and will give leaves until about April when it will start to flower.
Regards Sally Wright.
garden_serf
KG Regular

Thats helpful, thankyou Sally. I did not think of it as having the possibility of acting like a biennial. I do like letting some carrots flower in that way to add interest and attract insects.

When planted: It was planted as a clump of 10 ish v.little plants (grown from T&M seeds on kitchen windowsill 23 March 08) planted out at end of April 08. I would describe that as early rather than late. But this concept must be different for each persons local terroir.
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
garden_serf
KG Regular

More Info: I am pretty sure I got these seeds free from KG. It has turned out to be a healthy, disease free, frost tolerant, prolific and useful herb. http://www.flickr.com/photos/garden_serf/3114799743/
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic