No PSB

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

taralastair
KG Regular

Out of 4 healthy looking plants only one of my PSB has started to produce (and only minimally). I can't remember which variety I planted but thought by now I should be having a crop. Is it just too cold still or has something gone wrong? Plants were pretty healthy all winter. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tara
Beryl
KG Regular

[b] I'm growing 'Red Arrow'which I have grown for the last 5-6 years. Previously it has always started to produce spears in abundance by now but this year it is very slow. I have not had any pickings yet. I can only put it down to lack of rain and the exceptional weather. Be patient, unless you need the ground for something else, there is still time. Even just the young leaves can be steamed or stir fried.
taralastair
KG Regular

Ta very much for the reassurance. I'll keep my fingers crosssed.

Tara
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tara,
Be sure to take out the main bud and the plants should flourish. By removing the prime bud you encourage the plant to produce many. It could take three to five weeks though before you get meaningful pickings.
JB.
taralastair
KG Regular

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I have done that with the one that has started to bud, but the others haven't done anything yet. They look healthy though so I'll be patient.

Tara
Beryl
KG Regular

Just thought I would let you know Tara I had my first picking of PSB today - 2 carrier bags full.
Worth waiting for - Hope yours is doing the same.

Beryl.
Tara

I have had two meals from two of my plants. Two other plants are just beginning to bud. Delicious though. They are worth the wait and as they are so late I am hoping they will see us through to some of our early summer veg.

Tara
Compo
KG Regular

What's PSB ? Purple Sprouting?
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, Purple Sprouting Broccoli
peter
KG Regular

You lucky, lucky, b*****. :oops:

Mine look like mutated baseball bats at the mo.
I seem to have picked the worst spot on the plot this year, the frost got all my brassica's to some extent or other. Just being an optomist at the moment and hoping the warmer weather might give me at least one meal.
Compo
KG Regular

Mine were planted in autumn as garden centre bare root plants, and are flowering like mad, cant keep up with the picking so am going to have to freeze it or give it away
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
peter
KG Regular

Go on Compo, rub it in. :D

Bloody plants, bloody frost, must remember not to plant over-wintering brassicas there again. :evil:

Thing is it is 20 to 30 foot from where they thrived two years ago :evil: :roll: and we could not eat the PSB fast enough that year. :evil:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic