Chicken Dilemma

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Gilly C
KG Regular

Yes you can the heat softens the claw and it comes away painlessly will find the link for you :)
Gilly C
KG Regular

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/vi ... ving+spurs

this is one link will look for another as I think there was a better one

having trouble getting on the forum will try again tomorrow
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks Gilly :shock:

How in the hell am I going to pursuade Rocky to sit on my knee with a baked potato on each of his spurs?

Dripping candle wax over them sounds even more difficult (wasn't there a film about this kind of thing :lol: ).

Clipping his nails sounds an easier option, if I can clips Rosie's toe nails I'm sure I can manage Rocky's.

Sounds like a two girl job though; I wonder what Seedling is doing this weekend... :twisted:

Just a thought, but if using the candle wax method, how do you avoid setting fire to your cockerel? :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Gilly C
KG Regular

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/vi ... ight=spurs
here is the other link, I have never done it but watched a neighbour do it they go very quiet on their backs but I still think it is a 2 hander 1 seated, with pulling the nail sheath off it takes longer to regrow than if you trim them, I hope you manage to sort the problem
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone, but a decision has now been made that Rocky is moving to Worcestershire in the next week or so.

I tried saddles on the girls and even when I tied them across their chests, he was still pulling them off (I know not how). Selsey is now bald around her neck when he keeps grabbing hold of her. Leia and Shelley look like they've been plucked ready for Christmas and he has his beady eyes fixed on Yoko and Penelope who are currently running like Olympic sprinters to keep out of his way.

I can't come to terms with the full manicure solutionwhich is only a temporary fix and will need doing, at least on his toenails, every month or two. This won't help their necks in any case as he's using his beak for that damage!

Anyway, I have a friend who has six acres of land, three of them wooded, all surrounded by fox proof electric fencing. He has 20 or more girls running freerange on the land, no cockerel and would very much like to take him on. He and his wife keep their birds (and rare breed sheep and pigs) as pets rather than livestock so I have a sworn promise that Rocky will never be on the menu. I also have full visiting rights and will get regular email updates and photos.

I simply couldn't find a better home for him and my girls will be so much happier without his loving ministrations.

So, Rocky's moving out which makes me both sad and happy. We've been through so much together since he was an egg that it will be a big wrench to let him go, but I do know I'm doing the right thing.
Chantal

Gilly C
KG Regular

It is hard sometimes with animals but we have to do what is in their best interests, looks as though you have found him the perfect place and plenty of new lady friends for him, you will miss his early morning wake up calls, take care .
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, i do feel you have made the right decision, especially for Rocky himself.

I'm sure he will love having all that room, and a selection of so many new girls to keep him happy.

Still, you are so brave having to make that decision.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Chantal

Like OH, I think you have made the right decision. Rocky will think he's gone to heaven :wink:

But I'm sure you'll miss him a lot. It's so easy to get attached. I'm missing myold Gwynfor who died last night. He'd had a good long life and was father of many :)
JohnN
KG Regular

Chantal
Sorry to come in on this a bit late, but may I suggest you get a cheap webcam and set it up overlooking Rocky's new pasture? You can then keep an eye on the old roue - and perhaps we can all join in and enjoy the fun! :shock:
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi John

RockyCam has been in my mind too, bit it would take a very wide angled lens to manage 6 acres. I have been promised photos when he's settled in, so I guess I'll have to make do.

He's still with me at the moment and it may indeed be a couple of weeks before he goes now. I get all choked up when I go out in the garden, call him and he comes running :cry:
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, i know it must be hard but please be brave, he will love it i'm sure.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
JohnN
KG Regular

Chantal ..
What's got me worried now is that with six acres to roam in, Rocky might fall prey to Reynard? Oh, God, if you had a webcam we'd end up with the Rocky Horror Show! (Sorry :( )
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi John

Rocky's departure is delayed as the new Reynard proof electric fencing is going in ready for his arrival. I sent his press cutting scrap book on ahead and there is so much excitement about such a famous chick that a new hen house has also been purchased. :D

As for a Rocky Horror Show, I think he's more at risk here in my garden as foxes are roaming the nature walk at the back of the house, five of them being fed every night by my neighbours :roll:

I'm trying not to worry :wink:
Chantal

peter
KG Regular

Chantal, managed to combine chicken and veg into a paen to Rocky.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CprQ295dxVw
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Brilliant Peter, just brilliant. :lol: :lol:

The big boy is still here but should be moving within a fortnight. Preparations are still being made for his arrival in Worcestershire; he is SO pampered!
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic