I got me a greenhouse!

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jamse
KG Regular

I am now the proud owner of a 12ft x 8ft greenhouse.
Well actually I done a deal with one of my customers that I could have it for nothing as long as I took it apart and too all the rubbish from inside it away with me.Good deal I thought.
So for 6 hours today I was dismantling it,got it home and so far have 3 broken panes to replace.
Just got to make base for it during the week then get it up next weekend!

By the way is there much I can do in it over the winter?

Bit excited in case you hadnt guessed! :D :D :D
Chris
KG Regular

Hi Jasme

A got my first greenhouse about three years ago - it is exciting! I think that the main thing is to get it set up for next year. Leave a hole in the base large enough for a hose pipe and sheilded electrical cable in case you decide to have water and heating. Prepare the border soil well if you are thinking of growing in a border - and work out where the staging will go. Maybe think about water buts - mine is the same size and I have 2 buts which collect a lot of water. Put in a path - a flexible opton is to use wooden decking slabs (e.g. B&Q) which you can move around when you need to - I add additional ones during the winter to make a good sized are to work in. And once the border is ready you can try winter lettuce and early salad crops - although with me they are best when started in the new year.

On reflection it really is worth getting in electricity if you can - not only can you run a heater and propogator but you can also install christmas lights and sit out there there on boxing day evening imagining the year ahead.
Chris
jamse
KG Regular

Many thanks Chris
Look forward to christmas!! :D :D :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic