What has been your biggest success this year?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Garlic certainly. Runner beans have thrived in the wet but not too cold weather. Pink Fir Apple and Sarpo mira spuds. Cucurbits - we are practically chain-souping - and my carrots have done far better than usual. Celery has produced soe crop and the celeriac seems to be doing OK.

In fact, really it's just the toms which have suffered.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
peter
KG Regular

Raspberries.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tony Hague
KG Regular

It's looking like a great year for apples too.
Malk
KG Regular

Being able to get out to the plot at all with two children under two, considering I had number two in June. place is heavily covered in weeds in some places, but I'm still working away, loving every moment I manage to steal to get out there.

But veg-wise, my peas!! Usually they get eaten by pea beetle and slugs before they really get established, but it was so dry and hot in May that they managed to get themselves sorted. I got tons, well for me at least, several small meals and a big bowl which lasted several large meals. Only planted about 6 plants so next year are going to plant three times that in the hope that I will have enough to eat regularly over summer and to freeze some.
Welcome to Finland!!
vivienz
KG Regular

Rose de Roscoff onions for me, grown from seed donated in exchange for some strawberry runners. They were at least as good as sets that I have grown previously, vigorous and healthy and as they were from seed, not a single one bolted. Beautiful.
Vivien
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Just for their looks, the Ailsa Craig onions I grew from seed. They are large, lovely pale skinned and nearly all the same size. I've not lifted them yet as the tops are still green. They are far superior to the Sturon I grew from sets.
Judybby
KG Regular

Courgettes have been amazing.
I did not get any carrots to germinate. Being a newbie and not knowing any better, I used last years seed, thinking it would be ok. I've since read on this forum that I should use fresh seed each year. Better luck next year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic