sex of baby chicks

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

fluffy chick
KG Regular

hi can anyone tell me how can i tell what i have in my range of 9week old chicks how do i tell which is a hen and which is a cockerel as i dont think the neighbours would be too pleased to hear a cockerel crowing at 4 in the morning i have 3 blue aracunas and 7 silkies light brown in colour thanks
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi fluffy

If your chicks are now nine weeks old, the cockerels will begin to crow in about 4 weeks. What you do with them then is, of course, up to you. I shall be turning my five new cockerels into chicken dinners as of tomorrow :) :cry:
Gilly C
KG Regular

It can take up to 6 months to sex Silkies accurately, good luck
fluffy chick
KG Regular

hi can anyone tell me when i can let my chicks now 9weeks old out with the rest of the gang we have avariety of hens and the surrogate mum is a jasmin
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
How old are your young Cockerels?
They may start 'practicing' at about 13 weeks but they don't really manage a proper crow for several weeks after that.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Johnboy

They're 18 and a half weeks. Not really crowing yet, just trying, but obvious which five are cockerels and which five are pullets.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
Thanks for speedy answer. We used to keep poultry
many moons ago and thought we used to commence slaughter at 22weeks but couldn't remember. We used to keep the young cockerels that were practicing penned up until at least 8am in a totally dark environment with absolutely no light whatsoever.
Used to dispatch them over several weeks but this was before freezers were about. I have kept hens since then but always bought in POL and only hens so no chicks.
I somehow think that I may begin again with a few Marans with Cockerel so there is the possibility of a few chicks about again. I used to be able to sex day old chicks years ago but doubt if I still have the Knack.
I have a friend who is a chicken-sexer for a local breeder and I am sure she will put me right should I have the need.
Thanks again,
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Not really the same subject, but I was thinking about buying some POL to keep the egg supply going when the older ones are having a rest, and was staggered by how much the prices have gone up. The bog standard Warrens are £9 each and the Black Rock £12, that is double what I paid last year. Do you think the increase in feed costs is being used as an excuse for putting up all the other prices?
alan refail
KG Regular

Plumpudding

More of a "reason" than an "excuse".

Though I was glad to see the price of layers pellets dropped a little recently.
bottomleypots
KG Regular

Hi,
I'm sure the price of pullets and hens have increased due to the popularity of having free range chickens even in city gardens-Hugh Fearnley Wittingstall may have something to do with that.
Even at auction POL pullets range from £8 to £20 now, but I have to say the quality of the eggs is priceless!!
"An hour digging is better than two hours in the Gym"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic