Ice Cream Makers

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jennifer
KG Regular

Does anyone have an Ice Cream Maker that they can recommend. I have looked at the internet and there seem to be two types. One where you put the bowl into the freezer for anything up to 24 hrs before making the icecream (roughly £50) and another which freezes the icecream itself and only takes 20 - 30 mins (£250.00 upwards). If anybody has any experience with either of these I would be very interested to hear about it as it seems to me that you need to eat a lot of ice cream to pay out £250 to make it and to only be able to make one batch a day in the summer when all the fruit is ready seems very tedious!
Jennifer
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Jennifer

Tigger will know the answer. She makes dozens of gallons of ice cream (usually in just one day) :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

Well it's the other half that's the ice cream expert.....

We first had a machine 30 years ago. It was a little one that went into the freezer. Then we progressed to the sort you chill - useless. So we got a better one that went in the freezer. Now we have a catering one, the same as you see on GBM, which has it's own freezer in it. It makes ice cream in 15 minutes. We got it second hand for £245 from a chef who was upgrading it and put an ad in the local paper. They also come up on Ebay from time to time, but recently they've been fetching up to £400. (We're very sad people and are always looking at bits of kit!)

So it depends on how much you want to spend and how much ice cream you want to make.

According to him that knows.....Gaggia's make good domestic ones at around £250. Musso and someone else (can't find the name but I will and post it later) make good catering standard ones but are expensive unless you can get a used one. The little domestic ones are really only any good if you just want a small portion of ice cream, a few times a year and you have to remember to plan to use them because of the need to pre-chill the container.
gardenaholic
KG Regular

I make ice-cream and have one of the 'place the bowl in the freezer'. I make a batch a week. I freeze all my berries and have containers of pureed fruit. I can then use these in ice-cream or make jam as desired. I freeze, youngberries, raspberries, loganberries, mulberries and the three types of currants. Whats left goes into making mixed berry jam. Though despite all this the most requested type to make is chocolate and chocolate-chip. Also make mango, butterscotch and passionfruit. Generally only get to make strawberry when I have them fresh as they dont seem to freeze that well. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and about 30 minutes to freeze.
Jennifer
KG Regular

Thanks for the comments. My husband can eat any amount of ice cream and we grow lots and lots of fruit. Last year I made lots of fruit mousses and he loved those ( and so did dinner guests) but I would like to make some icecream rather than buying it all the time. Last year I did freeze down lots of fruit and fruit puree (usually used on ice cream). But I'm sure that if it was frozen as ice cream in the first place it wouldn't stay in the freezer nearly so long. We still have lots left from last year, and lots of jam also. I think the bigger ice cream makers with their own compressor sound more like what I need. I'll have to do another trawl of the internet to see where the best buys are.
Jennifer.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I bought a Gaggia gelateria last year from the Indepent newspaper offers it was £199 and had a lovely book on icecream making included I don't know if they still have this offer.

It is certainly worth the outlay as it makes much better icecream than the little ones you put in the freezer.

I had bought Sarah Raven's latest cookery book and she had so many lovely ice cream recipes using fruits fresh from the garden that I couldn't resist getting one any longer.
Angela
KG Regular

I was always thinking about getting one. Seems like I have to. :)
The poetry of the earth is never dead. ~ John Keats
Jennifer
KG Regular

Well, my husband solved the problem of what to buy by coming home with one of te little put the bowl in the freezer jobs. It was sold ridiculously cheap because the box and the instruction booklet were missing and the staff in the shop couldn't figure out how it works. It's obvious how it works when you look at it but it does mean that there aren't any recipes with it. If any of you could put a recipe or two onto the recipe section I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Jennifer.
alan refail
KG Regular

Jennifer

Try here for starters.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The one I bought last year is on offer again in the Independent now - look up Independent Offers. There is a free icecream recipe book with it too.

Should have enough spare strawberries for some ice cream next week. Yummy!
Jennifer
KG Regular

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Armed with recipes from the internet i have now tried vanilla, blackcurrant, raspberry, strawberry and lemon. They are all much better than anything bought in, Unfortunately now my freezer is full and I can't fit the bowl in to freeze it to make any more. I'll just have to eat the ice-cream that is left to make some more space.
Jennifer
kranser
KG Regular

Most ice cream recipes I've seen require at least 4 egg yokes - but no egg whites. This seems like a waste to me.
Do the proper 'ice cream maker' machines also require just egg yokes in their recipes?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

There are lots of ways to make ice cream, and the one which uses egg yolks is the custard method. Others don't use eggs at all, and the sorbets use the egg whites.

If I use the egg yolk method I usually make a batch of meringues with the whites. They keep well and also go very well with the icecream, and fruit for dessert.

Try this one using no eggs at all:

English Plum and Cinnamon

1 lb dessert plums, stones removed
3 1/2 on caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 fl oz water
juice of half a lemon, or to taste
15 fl oz double cream

Slowly cook the plums with the sugar, cinnamon and water in a covered pan until the fruits burst and start to become pulpy. Allow to cool, ensuring the cinnamon stick is still burried in the fruit for maximum flavour.

Remove the cinnamon once the fruit has cooled, add lemon juice to taste, then puree the plums in a blender. Rub the puree through a sieve, add a little more sugar if necessary, then chill for at least an hour.

Measure the puree: you should have about 15 fl oz, so make it up with a little water if necessary. Add the cream, then freeze-churn until ready to serve.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic