time to harvest shallots?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mandy,
With the shop bought shallot that has split into three. Have any of those three gone to seed?
When I experimented two seasons ago I bought some B shallots and dissected them and came to the conclusion that although some had the capacity to divide most of them would not do so. It was then that we mainly decided that growing from seed was the best method. Since then I have planted in individual modules and put them out in a straight line having never considered group planting.
Are those planted out in groups growing large because if they are it certainly would be a very economical way of growing them and it certainly didn't enter my head to grow them that way.
It seems once again the simplest of ideas maybe the best. Just grow them like shallots. Brilliant!
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

I've never thought about shallots from seed, is there another thread that discusses them?
The only one in my new Wallis catalogue that has just arrived is Ambition F1 at £1.85 for 100 seeds, is that typical of what you find?
What is the timing - similar to onions, a fairly early start in heat?
mandylew
KG Regular

[quote="Johnboy"]
With the shop bought shallot that has split into three. Have any of those three gone to seed? [quote]

they didnt but when we cut them up they wouldn't have split again, likewise with others from the shop i have dissected in the past it is a bit hit and miss I think i was lucky with this one, which was one of three i planted, one went to seed and the other rotted. The seed grown ones are generally 4 inches in length about 2 inches in width the largest, although there are smaller ones too. I would definately grow them this way in future, they seem to support each other, would your single ones not keel over when they get tall?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
The growing of Banana Shallots was started by Piglet a couple of years ago when he brought some home from France and I think that almost all of those went to seed.
I bought a load from a shop in Ludlow and then did my dissecting bit and realised that although they may be classed as a Shallot there were insufficient specimens capable of splitting and through discussion we thought they were more onion like in fashion. We then started growing from seed.
Piglet sent me a mass of seed and I have taken his lead. I cocked-up my first sowing but had about 120 seeds spare and sowed very late and luckily about 10 of those went to seed and I now have sufficient for my needs.
About 10 years ago I tried sowing an F1 hybrid variety but they were not so successful and very small I kept some and replanted the next year and all they did was go to seed. I feel that they may have progressed with newer varieties.
I will have all the time in the world next year so may try again with sowing normal Shallots from seed.
JB.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mandy,
Thank you for the information. I must confess that quite a few had a good lean on them but mine finished up with some about 6 inches tall but not as wide as 2 inches in the girth. This year they are not quite ready but look to be quite a crop. Next year I have made my mind up to grow following your example. It really makes sense to me.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

It sounds like they are cooking shallots so as we only pickle them I think I'll stick with sets.
mandylew
KG Regular

geoff you would only get three in a jar :lol:
realfood
KG Regular

I have just lifted the last of my shallots in Glasgow.
Some were grown from sets and some were grown from seed, namely "Ambition F1". The ones grown from seed were as big as the ones grown from sets, with the advantage that none of the seed grown ones had tried to flower.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Realfood,
Thank you for the information. How big are the F1 Ambition?
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've lifted my shallots "Topper" this week. They have divided well with about 6 to 8 per clump. I've been saving my own from some I bought years ago. They are excellent keepers - I've only just used the last ones I saved from last year this week.

The smaller ones keep better than the larger ones, but I save the medium sized ones for planting for next year's crop.

Make sure they are thoroughly dried out in a single layer, and cleaned of any loose skin and leaves before putting them into onion bags and hanging them up. I check them over a couple of times after bagging them, to make sure none are rotting, but they are usually fine.

In fact they have kept so well that I was considering only growing shallots and not bothering with the onions next year. I might just grow a row of the sweet red onions though as they are delicious.
lizzie
KG Regular

Lifted my shallots last week (heat treated sets - can't remember the varieties )and 98% of them had all split.....between 3 and 5 per bulb.

Got them into some spiced vinegar and they are in the cupboard for a few months before Big Andrew and my neice Clare ( aka Lily Pickle) can start to eat them.

Lily Pickle (who's 16) will sit in the corner with some pork pies and a large jar of pickled onions and be very happy.............strange child that she is. Then again, she's my neice so what do people expect :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
realfood
KG Regular

The Ambition shallots grown from seed are quite big. 6 cm diam, or the width of my first 3 fingers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic