recipe for cutting compost

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Regular

Hiya
I'm going to have a go at taking some cuttings from my herb bed. I cant afford to buy the good cutting compost but I found in my 'inherited' allotment shed some perlite and some chunky vermiculite. I have some pretty good 'worm poo' from my wormery and a bit of left over general purpose compost - I must be able to make something out of all this but I'm not sure of the proportions of each to use - any good recipies out there :D
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Newbie,

I use ordinary peat mixed with builders sand in a 50/50 mix. I suppose you could use general purpose compost instead of peat but I haven't tried it. The peat and sand works very well and compost will have fertilisers added which might detract from the performance. No doubt someone else may advise on this.
Best regards, Gerry.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Gerry !!!!!

Use peat; here in England it is "VERBOTEN" to use peat in the garden,if you do so the world would come to an end, according to the tree huggers.
I have not been able for some time, to get peat by it's self, then one day in B&Q I discovered that they had it for sale once again, so I bought 4 bales.
As far as general purpose compost in concerned it is usually too coarse and strong for some of the smaller seeds and seedlings, so now for me it is peat, peat and more peat in my own home made composts!
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
Chantal
KG Regular

I use general purpose compost mixed 50:50 with sharp sand :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Geoff
KG Regular

Texture is what matters most for cuttings - a bit of food is not as much of a problem as it is (allegedly) for seeds. Looking at what you have I think equal parts of all four would give you a nice open mixture for cuttings.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gerry,
Building sand should not be used in the garden. the sand that you should be using is Sharp Sand which is sometimes called Concreting Sand. The reason for using sharp sand is for drainage and the small grit content allows the roots from cuttings to flourish.
Hi Newbie,
It is possible to produce cutting using just the perlite. Worm-poo is really too strong for cuttings.
What cuttings are you intending to take?
JB.
KG Regular

HI JB,
I'm taking cuttings of herbs, Rosemary, Lavender, sage and morjoram. I've also got a bit of spent grow-bag that had some lettuce in last year (bags split now)
alan refail
KG Regular

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Newbie,
The used compost should be OK mixed with Perlite.
Cuttings need an open textured compost because they need oxygen to the roots at all times so with cuttings watering should be little and often if possible and under no circumstances should you ever saturate them.
The one important thing that the BBC have omitted to tell you is the optimum time to take the cuttings.
This is very important. As it happens most herbs fall between June and August. The material to be used should not be in flower.
Rosemary can be propagated from semi-mature wood now but if the wood has hardened it would be better to take a hardwood cutting between October and February next year. I looked at my Rosemary just now (by torchlight) and consider that it has hardened too much for soft wood (semi-mature) cuttings. For cuttings you should note this years growth and if it is still pale green and is whippy then take your cuttings but if the wood feels stiff and will not bend very easily wait for a month or two and take the hardwood cuttings.
Lavender is best taken as tip cuttings in April and May but again hardwood cuttings can be taken later on this month August and September.
Sage should not be in flower and will go right now until the end of September. If you have a very large bush it is possible to layer then. If you are not sure about layering simply ask either by PM or on view.
Marjoram is bet propagated by 'French Cuttings' which means taking a stem with the root and plant out individually in pots to form a new plant.
Division is another method. Simply dig the plant up and when you know where the roots are cut the plant into sections and replant in individual new plants.
Plenty more advice available if you need it.
JB.
KG Regular

Hi JB - sometimes its the 'why' that makes sense of the 'how' .. :D
Johnboy wrote:Cuttings need an open textured compost because they need oxygen to the roots at all times
JB.

this 'why' was the bit that make the penny drop - so I mixed my left over compost more or less 50/50 with the perlite and now have 24 rosemary and 24 sage cuttings in 3 per pot with a half a pop bottle(with little ventilation holes) on top of each pot by way of a mini green house
Thank you all for your help with this - I will tend my little things and hope for the best.
BTW - the random blackcurrant seedlings I found under the bushes I mentioned a few weeks ago, are looking very healthy and are now 6" tall with several healthy looking leaves - they have been joined by 4 baby gooseberry seedlings found under the gooseberry bush!! :shock: If this keeps up I'll never have to buy another plant ever again which is just as well with the gas bill on its way..... :(
kranser
KG Regular

Why is it important to mix sand with Compost for Cuttings? Why is using 100% compost not as effective? Do cuttings need sand to help them root?

I've taken some blueberry cuttings but they soon die - unless I cover the pot with a plastic bag.I'm using just acidic compost and was wondering whether mixing in the sand would help the survival rate.

Kranser.
Monika
KG Regular

It's to keep the compost open and well drained and stop the cuttings from rotting before they have rooted, Kranser!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I also like to use a clay pot, and place the cuttings round the inside edge.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
kranser
KG Regular

Monika wrote:It's to keep the compost open and well drained and stop the cuttings from rotting before they have rooted, Kranser!

Great - thanks for clarifying that one Monika. Now I need to source some sand!

Kranser.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic