Rust on Broad Beans same as Leek rust?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Judybby
KG Regular

The wet weather in early July has brought on some rust spots on my broad beans. The beans are nearly over now and finished harvesting - they were yum and the rust didn't seem to affect the yield as the beans were well progressed when the rust came. I'll clear and burn all the branches and leaves and keep the roots in the ground for a bit. My plan was to plant some young leeks in the same patch. I know leeks and garlic suffer with rust. Is it the same fungal disease as the broad bean one? I'm wary of spores still in the soil affecting my young leeks if it is the same or similar diesease. Should I plant the leeks elsewhere? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Judy,
the fungus on your BB's is called chocolate spot. If you look carefully you will notice that is is a darker beast almost russet compared to leek rust which is a vivid shade of orange. I don't think they can infect each other (any one with a collins P&d handy can look it up to check).
Regards Sally Wright.
Judybby
KG Regular

Thanks for the info, Sally. I'll get planting my leeks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic