I have no manure can I use multi-purpose compost?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

Yes - because they have different values. I use chicken manure from Aldi because it's such good value, Growmore from the Pound shop for obvious reasons and organic compost as I make it month on month.

If you're growing anything in a trench,add manure,shredded paper,compost,whatever.

Drills - put a layer of fine compost in the bottom.

Root seeds (carrots/parsnips/turnips/etc) put seed into compost but remove the bases of coir/paper pots.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Julie,
The "chuck it all on just in case" is not the right thing to do. It is possible by doing that you can end up with an overdose of Nitrogen which to the beginner looks wonderful because it means you get lush plants with lush growth which is an attractant to all the pests. Plants need to be quite hard and my suggestion is to use one or the other but certainly not both.
JB.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I agree with Johnboy regarding not to chuck it all on and to use one or the other.

We have always regarded maunure as a means of conditioning the soil with humus and encouraging the earth worms in the soil.

I consider that chemical fertilizers are used only as a tonic especially nitrogen and I believe should only be used sparingly. Too many applications of chemical fertilizers discourages earthworms.

I do not know about dried chicken manure but chicken manure from poultry farms is not a balanced fertilizer since it contains too much nitrogen and we only use this on our brassica plants.

We have again lost our spring cabbage plants to pigeons and put up the usual scarecrows and cotton but no no avail. Any thoughts on how to discourage these pigeons?
julie

Aldi and Poundland are my favourite shops - so I shall definitely look out for chicken manure and growmore - thanks again for all the tips - I will not chuck it all on now, I will treat each bed differently and see how they respond - I am also going to try and get hold of some horse manure from our local riding school - sorry do not know how to deter pigeons - my big problem last year was the dreaded slugs!!!!!!
Chantal
KG Regular

You can get the Chicken Pellets from Aldi tomorrow, details on

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
julie
KG Regular

Chantal - thanks for that - I just happen to be doing my monthly shop tomorrow - let's hope they have some left
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Julie

Too be honest I chuck a bit of everything on at the beginning of the season. Then, I use calcified seaweed the rest of the time. It's never done any harm that I know of but you never know if a failure is something that you've done or it's just failed.

Johnboy is the best one to ask about everything as he's got years of experience.

Glad you like the site. Personally speaking, my sense of humour is a little weired although looking around i'm not the only one.

Oh, don't go into Piglets sty on your own. You do so at your own risk. Make sure his trotters are in full view at all times :twisted: :lol:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic