Right Book for a new veg grower

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

chrisanddan
KG Regular

A friend of mine is bravley putting a 4'x 8' raised bed in a section of her lawn. I would like to get her a good beginners book to help her with this. A book that won't scare her. I know that KG ran some articles about growing in a small space, but I seem to think there was a book about this also. Any ideas? She has absolutly no idea about growing veg, which isn't a problem, none of us did to start with. I recently had to advise her that 52 half grown tomato plants in one growbag was too many. Though in her defence, she was getting tomoates of them. So whose right and whose wrong bearing in mind with just three in mine I have nothing! Book advice would be good. Thanks
GIB
KG Regular

Hi

You may want to suggest Delia's Kitchen Garden - A Beginners Guide to Growing Fruit & Veg book. It is written by Gay Search with a complete beginner in mind and has a section at the back for that shows growing a variety of veg in small space. It is split into 12 chapters, one for each month, and gives advice on what to sow what to harvest etc for that month. The bonus with this is that at the end of each chapter Delia has written a couple of recipes based on that month's harvest.
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

The Great Vegetable Plot by Sarah Raven or Grow Your Own Veg by Carol Klein? The Sarah Raven one is good because it's quite selective and emphasises what things taste and look like which is handy if you're gardening in a small space. The Carol Klein RHS book is friendly, thorough and totally non scary so might be good too.
Chantal
KG Regular

Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
John
KG Regular

I agree with you, Chantal. This is an excellent reference/manual type book has absolutely everything for someone new to veg growing.
I got my copy as a freebie in a subscription offer - don't know if the offer is still on.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear C&D,
what about the vegatable expert by DG Hessayon. Not organic I know but still very good on the plant basics. Just tell her to ignore the cover it with pesticides and just follow the growing instructions.
It is only about £6-7. so it is a very reasonable buy.
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic