WD-40

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Tigger wrote:There's definitely a group of people who believe WD40 is the answer to squeaky joints aand dodgy moves. There was a whole programme about it on Radio 4 last year.

Could be worth a try.

Sounds just the thing for OH and Old Codger then :wink:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear PJ, i'll have you know i'm quite supple and can get into all sorts of extraordinary positions. :shock: :lol:

I'm not sure if the same can be said of Old Codger. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi OH
i'll have you know i'm quite supple and can get into all sorts of extraordinary positions.

Yes this we all know :twisted: But how do you get yourself out of these positions :shock: :lol:

Regards

Kevin :wink:
alan refail
KG Regular

OH said "I'll have you know I'm quite supple and can get into all sorts of extraordinary positions."

And here he is checking the sprinkler's working properly on the allotment.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Kevin, i normally just collapse. :lol:

Dear Alan, i found that position most useful for scratching my head with my feet. This was after i had both my hands squashed, after climbing out of a bedroom window. :shock: :lol:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Di
KG Regular

Maybe you're meant to spray each slugs underside?
Vegman
KG Regular

WD 40 is a lubricant containing oil, solvent and other 'things', while it may stop slugs climbing pots its not what you should be spraying around the garden etc. its a polutant.
Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end the faster it seems to go.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Vegman,
Read the original posting. Nobody has suggested spraying it around the garden. You can spray the outside of a pot in the shed or garage and the result would be the same.
For somebody who has to work and cannot keep a constant watch. Lets imagine that every year your Hosta's take a beating are you seriously going to tell me that to spray the outside of that pot will cause pollution. I'll have a bet with you that every time you start your car you spray more pollution about.
JB.
Vegman
KG Regular

I just think that its horses for courses and wd40 is a workshop garage product.

Slug pellets (safe type or not)heaped in a pile on top of the pot surface will repel slugs away from new growth Hosta's and such. If you can lay themn at the correct spacing at the base and use as a bait then you can get a kill. keep the pots slightly off the ground to prevent a refuge for slugs.
Countless other chemicals will keep slugs from climbing pots but one wouldnt recommed them.
Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end the faster it seems to go.
Losos
KG Regular

We've had a huge increase in slugs this year, so far the most effective method seems to be removing them by hand, 'tho I'm saying that based on the last week, it may become impossible to do that soon.

Anyway, point I want to make is that I use a neoprene glove and the first day I tried all the sticky mucous stuff stuck to the glove :x

The next day I sprayed some WD40 on my glove and voila - no more horrible gunge and the slugs slide of and into my jam jar like water of a ducks back :D
Regards
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Vegman,
I too use slug pellets but so many of the contributors to this forum will not use them even if the new pellets available carry an organic accreditation.
You say WD 40 is a garage product so spray them in the garage and once applied to the outside of a pot how much pollution would you be causing? Certainly no more than if you used it in your garage to help loosen a nut or bolt. You could put the nozzle into a piece of rag and release the contents, then smear it onto a pot using the rag.

Hi Losos,
Great thinking!
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

I remember years ago my father discovered my mother on her hands and knees beside the car in the driveway a can of WD40 in her hands.
"What on earth are you doing" he asked.
"I'm trying to oil the wheels because I've noticed a squeak somewhere" was her reply !!
Losos
KG Regular

Primrose - What a lovely story :)

JB - Was it you that was pointing out on another thread that next year is likely to be bad 'cos all the slugs will multiply :?:

I recently read somewhere that one individual slug can produce about 3000 eggs and might 'lay' 10 to 12 times per year, that's a staggering 36,000 sluglets about to descend on me next year :lol: multiplied of course by the number I've got at the moment :shock:

Next year I'm really going to war on these little nasties using everything known to man plus a few new tricks that I might invent over the dull winter months :roll:
Regards
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic