thick-necked onions

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi there
My lottie neighbour was lifting some autumn-sown Japanese onions today. Nearly all of them were thick-necked, and she seemed to think this indicated that they were starting to bolt, hence her rush to get them out and use them. I've always thought that bolting and having thick necks were two entirely separate problems - I've suffered from both but not, as far as I remember, on the same plants.
Do any of you know if she's right - is this a sign of bolting?
david71
KG Regular

Hi,

I have always been led to believe that thick neck on an onion is the result of planting the set too deep.
When planting the top half of the set should be out of the soil.
Good luck with future crops.

David71
david71
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi David
Apparantly the onions in question were sown from seed, though I don't know if they were then transplanted or if they were sown in situ!
Actually, I've just been doing a bit of searching on the Internet and came across the results of some research that suggest that thick-necked onions are much more likely in cool conditions. Well, actually the research showed they were less likely in warmer conditions, therefore global warming would be good for onion production in this part of the world (their conclusion, not mine)!
An interesting theory. We've certainly had a cooler year so far here in this part of Northants than we have for some years, so it will be interesting to see if the problem of thick-necked onions is widespread here this summer.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Caz,
thick-necked onions are usually caused by too much nitrogen based fertilizer. There is nothing you can do about if it is the case except remember not to put so much fertilizer on next year! I usually plant mine after my maincrop potatoes and do not feed at all except perhaps a scattering of wood ash if I have some.
Excess nitrogen also causes another problem which is lush top growth which is susceptible to downy mildew in wet springs.
Although at this stage the onions should still have at least a months worth of growing left to do and what seems like a thick neck now might be a lot smaller in proportion by the end of the month because the bulb will have grown.
Bolting in Autumn planted onions is usually caused by one of two things. Planting too early, on or around the date of the first expected frost for your area is quite soon enough. For me here in Cambridge this is the third week in October. The other reason is a dry spring and so the onions should be kept watered.
Regards Sally Wright
The Mouse
KG Regular

Thanks both of you for your answers. I'll pass on your advice for avoiding these problems.
But what do you think about my neighbour's bolting/thick-neck link?
Do you think a thick neck indicates that an onion is about to bolt?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Caz,
the size of the neck is an indicator of too much water/nitrogen but not usually of an increase in bolting. The only reliable indicator of bolting is when you can see the flower appearing. This is usually a small white arrowhead in the centre of the plant. This should be snipped off just under the flower as soon as you see them and the onion left to finish growing. The resultant onion should be then used first as they tend not to keep. Simply remove the tough stalk when you cut them up. Onions should not be pulled out because of thick necks but left until they have finished growing and then simply used first. Their keeping qualities will be affected but you will just have to use them first, that's all.
Your neighbour is going to have a lot of green/unripe onions to use within the next month or they will be wasted. Whereas if she leaves them in the ground to ripen they will last for 2-3 months after harvest and be easier to deal with.
hope this makes things clearer.
Sally Wright.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Sally, i would just like to say i always find your answers very informative and well written.
A real help for everyone.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear OH,
you have made me blush...
Regards Sally Wright
Beryl
KG Regular

I agree with OH Sally.
Always read your replies with interest.