Chitting Pink Fir Apple

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Morning all

Bought some Pink Fir apple yesterday for the first time and went to put them out in trays to chit - crikey aren't they long? Can anyone tell me the best way to deal with these?

For instance should I let them chit and then cut them up with a chit on each piece, surely they are too long to plant whole.

Thanks for any advice.

David
Chantal
KG Regular

Pink Fir are very bad at chitting, you can try but you won't get much. I always plant mine whole and they grow well.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

My Anya, which are derived from Pink fir apple and look very similar are chitting all over the place, not just from the rose end if there is such a thing on them.

The Pink fir apple are just sat there.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
peter
KG Regular

Piglet, if they are chitting all over the place perhaps Chantal should lend you her birthday bucket. :twisted:

Our club's colts went through to the national quarter finals yesterday, opposition came all the way from Torquay to loose 33 - 8. :P
Chantal
KG Regular

Ha ha, very funny... :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
nog
KG Regular

are anyone Pots doing anything? Mine are just sitting there. Not the first sign of any action.
fen not fen
KG Regular

I don't cut seed spuds up to make them go further since an unfortunate experience with blsckleg a few years ago. Apparently cutting the seeds up increases the risk of such nasties, and I stopped doing it and didn't get it again (although that could just have been luck). Apart from that the seed are pretty cheap, and I can't be bothered fiddling with them...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Fen,
If you cut spuds up to sow it is best to seal the cut area with Sulphur. Not an ideal practice to cut them but apparently the practice is followed by many.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic