Asparagus

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pollie Tunnel
KG Regular

I planted my first asparagus crowns last year - can't remember the name, but they all grew. We left them to sprout, being the first year. The leaves died down in the winter, we mulched them with well rotted horse manure. However, we only have one sprig of asparagus so far. No signs of any more. Have we done anything wrong, or is it just a slow year?

Has anyone else struggled? :?
heyjude
KG Regular

Some varieties are later than others, so you probably just need to be patient. We are a year ahead of you (planted one year old crowns the year before last) and have just eaten some for the first time! But we did seem to spend a long time inspecting the patch every day and only finding one shoot before the rest came through. And it was about three weeks later than last year.

And keep a look out for slugs.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm getting a bit worried about my asparagus too. I've ten crowns but only one is sending up spears, we've had five lovely fat ones of that plant, but there is no sign of any of the others. I'm on slug patrol every night and it isn't that, so I'm wondering if the cold winter has killed them off, or whether the rest of them are just a bit slow.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

I was worried about this last week and started a thread on here about it. However, now they are up and running and it won't be long before the first spears are cut :D
I shouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Cheers, Parsons Jack.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Pollie Tunnel
KG Regular

I thought I'd give you an update. The crown that had the first shoot has two others joining it, and another crown has one showing through. I might just be in luck! Thank you all for the reassurance. :)
marianne34
KG Regular

I usually only grow aspergus for the flowers and didn't have any problems this year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic