New Allotmenteers - att Mr Potato Head

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

May I suggest a permanent spot in the KG magazine regarding the do's and don'ts of starting a new allotment - especially weedy ones. Needn't take up too much space and could refer to the advice on this web for further information.
David
KG Regular

Hi Colin and all,

This is a seriously good idea as I think many people would be put off the idea of growing their own if left to their own devices. I'm into my third year now and things are better but far from the ideal I had in my mind when I started. Success breeds success and I think where I benefited was when my neighbours gave me plants and tips for quick wins so that my enthusiasm was kept alive when all around me was weeds.

Most new starts, me included, try to do too much too soon and then get disappointed. We can all help so lets get this going.

My first bullet point is: Dont dig it unless you are going to plant it straight away. The weeds will reclaim it immediately your back is turned.

David
Mr Potato Head

It was something that came up in our recent survey quite a lot. Personally I think it's a great idea, but it's up to the editorial dept.

Just out of interest, there was pretty much a 50-50 split (of those surveyed) between allotment holders and home-based gardeners.

Finally, I'd like to remind you all about our search for 'Britains best allotment' in conjunction with the NAGT... you can find the details on the main website
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic