Last years strawberries in g.bags - what now?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Hello everyone,

Last year I grew some strawberries in growbags in the greenhouse with great success. I just left them there all winter and now they are showing signs of getting going again.

Question is what should I do with them - move them to a new grow bag, plant them outside or just feed the old growbag? Or something else?

Thanks for any help you can give.

David
Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I would definitely put them in new compost at least. How many plants are there? You could put half in new compost and the rest in a new strawberry bed outside and see which do best.
pump_king
KG Regular

According to another growing food magazine Strawberries will last 3 years in the same growbag if feed correctly. Hope this helps.
If I can't eat it I don't grow it
http://myallotment.spaces.live.com/
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm sure you'll get another year out of your strawberries in your growbag if you keep them well fertilised and watered. However, if you've got room for them elsewhere they will probably thrive. Strawberries seem to be pretty hardy plants. Mine are not in good soil because they're in a side border with roots from neighbour's big shrubs intruding under the fence & grabbing most of the nourishment & moisture, yet with a little manure & watering they still give a good crop.
David
KG Regular

Thanks for your help. We are moving house in the next month so I'll leave them alone and think again when we get there.

David
Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic