What doo yoo doo with doggy poo

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

I feel daft asking this but What do you do with doggy poo ? I was chucking it in the compost bin but now hear this is not wise. Can it go in with the household rubbish ?
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Personally I wouldnt touch the stuff with a bargepole with reference to putting it in your compost. I enjoy getting my hands dirty in the garden and on the lottie but would be forced to wear gloves if dog poo was knocking around, even if well composted.

I have heard that providing its well rotted that it can be used in compost heaps that are not then spread around edible crops but then you would have segregated compost bins.

Along with cat poo, I would just

"bag it and bin it"
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Wellie
KG Regular

I used to 'garden' for a lovely Australian couple in a posh bit of Bucks many years ago, and they had a Bern.Mountain puppy and a German Shep. puppy. Between them, whilst the garden was 5 acres, the dog poo did sort of 'pile up' a bit, so they installed one of these chemical Dog Loos.
Not having the destruction manual to hand, and given that it was a while ago, the only bit I can remember was that a big hole had to be dug, and then it was filled with rubble - then somehow the chemical loo bit sort of followed on from that (not much help I know !...)
What I do remember, was that it completely stunk and didn't seem to be 'effective' in eliminating the poo.

So, no, I don't suppose I HAVE been any help ! apart from maybe eliminating one of your available options!

Good Luck anyway.......
Wellie
lizzie
KG Regular

I just pick it up with one of the black doggy poo bags and bin it. If i'm feeling energetic, I uses kitchen towel and take it upstairs and flush it away.

Wouldn't put it on the compost bin
Lots of love

Lizzie
Beccy
KG Regular

Yes we compost our dogs' sh*t. We collect with newspaper when out walking and with shredded bank statements etc. in the garden (you want to nick my identity and you are going to have to get very dirty and smelly :lol: ) This is then put in those black cone composters and OH adds urine (much easier for him to collect). We get really lovely compost and it doesn't smell when it's 'mature'. And while it does smell a bit when you have the lid off to make new additions as long as the lid is on you wouldn't know it was there. We use it on our cordon apple trees and the raspberry canes and any thing that isn't 'ground level' food.

And if I didn't tell you you wouldn't know it was dog sh*t compost. The way we see it is the dogs go on the garden anyway. We do stop them going on the allotment beds. The important thing about this is taht the main danger is worms, so if you worm your dog regularly you shoud be fine.

Well we are so far. I think. :roll:
vivie veg
KG Regular

Any HDRA members can look up a fact sheet on compositing Dog and Cat manure.

Use your log in for the members area and the fact sheet is GG3.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic