Tomato Blight

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

We are very new to this site, only joined yesterday but have been buying KG for quite a while. Last year we bought a polytunnel and tried tomatoes in the borders. Several different types but we were hit with blight badly in August. Can anyone tell us how we can avoid it this year as we did have a splendid crop coming on but lost almost all of it.

Can we still grow tomatoes in the borders or should we use growbags. The polytunnel suppliers told us to wash the tunnel inside with Armillatox soap based outdoor cleaner. But what about the spores in the border soil.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, i don't think you could be too careful if you have had blight in the greenhouse.
If the plants were badly infected and were left in the greenhouse for any length of time, the spores are bound to be in the soil.

So even if you use growbags, it won't solve the complete problem.
The problem will be when the soil gets wet and the temperature is right the spores will be released.

As for an answer, i don't know how deep the spores go into the ground.
But you will either have to dig some soil out, or i'm wondering if laying some polythene down would stop the spores from spreading.
Maybe someone else has some thoughts on the second?

I suppose you can still get some soil sterilizer at a push.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Catherine
KG Regular

Many thanks for that information OH. I think we will remove all the soil from the beds, disinfect and try again next year. We will try something else instead this year.

My husband would like to know if we grew something different this year how long would we need to wait before the polytunnel is free from blight if ever.Poor man he was looking forward to having chutney.
[/quote]
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, i would have thought the spores will only remain in the soil for one season, because when the conditions are right they will disperse to start the cycle all over again.
Or that could be me being a bit of an optimist, and i might be wrong :)

I don't think i would not grow tomatoes at all, especially if you do change the soil, and use grow bags.

So you can inform your husband, he will be having chutney after all. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic