MY ALLOTMENTS WEEK : 6 UPDATE

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi all, just to let you know that I have posted my latest update and to let you know that my LIVE CHAT will be starting next Sunday night, thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Steve, looks as if we are in for another lovely day today.

Steve i didn't know if you could let us all know later on in the year, how you get on with the cheap fruit bushes you bought.
I know a lot of people are a little wary of buying them, but you will be growing them under good conditions, so it would be interesting to know.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Hi Steve,
Thanks as usual for your weekly update, I find it fascinating reading, with lots of useful tips. I did wonder, if you anticipate any problems with your brassicas, as you will be planting them in the same spot in their cage. I only ask, as my dad has built a lovely frame for ours, but the sprouts this year had a nasty bout of white rust (I think) and I'll have to use the space for soemthing else this year.
Keep up the good work, your plot is an inspiration!

thanks, Emma.
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi Old Herbaceous, yes I was a bit wary about buying them but thought that for the price it was at least worth giving them a try. I will of course let you all know how they do, although this season I may only get a few if I'm lucky, next year though should be better, regards Steve.
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi retropants (Emma), this year I will be growing the Brassicas in my second cage/tunnel which is nearly complete, this is to try and prevent any disease or pest build up, although I have grown them in their current position for 2 years without any adverse effects, but that could just be luck, regards Steve.
Primrose
KG Regular

Lovely to see your update and I too will be intrigued to discover how you get on with your cheap fruit bushes. Enjoy seeing your photos. I do like being nosey about other peoples' vegetable plots. They always seem to look much more inspiring than my tiny garden patch.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Steve, i was giving these cheap plants some further thought today whilst at work, and i think the biggest problem at this time of the year would be, that if they have put new shoots out due to being in the warmth of the shops, that they might need protecting from the cold weather.

Dear Primrose, i'm sure your garden is really lovely.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Yes OH it could be a problem for them the colder conditions that we are experiencing at night especially.
Primrose I to would like to say that I'm sure that your little patch is lovely, I'm fortunate to have the space and time that I have, regards Steve.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Dear Steve, when on earth do you get the time to photograph AND post this fascinating stuff? It's all I can do to construct half a raised bed, dig in some green manure, pick a few purple cape and dig up some leeks and salsify.

I really envy you the lovely-looking swede. All I get is something about the circumference of my thumb and all full of holes. I don't manage to get to the allotment often enoough in dry weather.

But I have got 11 rows of garlic [5 varieties] and 6 of broad beans, all sown mid-end Oct and still rather on the small side compared with other people's, but healthy-looking. I hope that's a good omen for the year.
mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic