Grass for chickens?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gilly,
It is a long time since I kept chickens but I used to be able to buy bales of chopped, dust free straw.
I do not know if it is available now or not.
In the end I used to make my own dust free by running the rotary mower over a line of placed straw and then throw the result onto some green windbreak netting and shake it about and then run a hoover constellation hand tool on the underside of the net.
You would be surprised at the amount of dust that you collect. The chopped straw was then bagged up and stored in a dry place and would last quite a long time. It was actually more dust free than the bought product.
Somehow for some unexplainable reason I dislike the use of wood products but they seem to be used quite commonly nowadays.
JB.
Gilly C
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy
Years ago I to used to use straw in the run as it was readily available and cheap, then at the last house they had a very large run ,we put nothing in there just kept digging it over regularly ,but now we live in the sticks and we have to have a fox badger proof run, harder as we are on a limestone pavement, we have made 2 wire cubes , I used bark chip at first and to be honest it didn't last long needed topping up, I now get wood chip and a small trailer load lasts about 12 months :) but this run is rooved for avian flu and my silkies do not like the wet. I use wood shavings in the hut and straw in the nest box all of which ends up in the compost bin with the droppings from the dropping tray, it does rot down eventually, living where we do, no straw is grown the only local crop is Flookburgh potatoes also the local feed merchant I used to use when I had a horse and we lived up here before has closed down, at the 1 I now use I have never seen any straw, I get mine when I visit the kids in Yorkshire as I do not need much, so as you see the woodchip is local, cheap and works for me, the hens are all free ranginging 90%+ of the time anyway :D
johnsgirl
KG Regular

Lizzie

How intriguing can you tell us anything about your opportunity?
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Re the Bark Chippings, I think I have sold the magazine on, It was featured in a recent copy of Practical Poultry (I think)
:oops:

I think it might only refer to the commercially bought stuff? :?
My only prejudice is prejudice
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You can keep the yolks nice and yellow by feeding plenty of greens - cabbage, kale, or any brassicas if you haven't any grass.

My hens have killed all the grass in their large run in the orchard in about a year. I've only ten hens but they always scratch everything up. I've tried fencing sections off and re-seeding them and I even transplanted my friend's lawn which she was taking up, but nothing has survived for long, so I just grow extra greens and take a few leaves at a time for the hens afternoon treat with a can of wheat.

They say that if you tie the greens up so the hens have to jump a bit to reach them it is good exercise and stops them getting bored! I must say I've not tried that.

I throw some dust free wood shavings at the entrance to the hut to clean their feet and have it a few inches deep inside the hut.

I've just managed to get a bale of straw this weekend from a farmers' auction. I don't use much as I only use it for the nest boxes. One of the farmers I spoke to when I was searching for straw said that when he was a boy his father used to send him collecting leaves for the nest boxes and litter, so I've collected some beech and oak leaves and dried them out before putting them in the nest boxes and the hens seem to like them. I left one nest box with straw in and two with leaves and they laid in the ones with leaves. It should make good compost too mixed with the shavings and hen droppings.
John
KG Regular

Welcome onboard, Plumpudding.
What an excellent first posting.

If I have any spare greens, I tie them up for the birds to peck at and it works well. It doesn't stop them reducing their grass run to a sea of mud though at this time of year. I always find that as the weather improves the grass grows back very well.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Rooster
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie,

If your run is on grass it will be gone in no time, I have my run on soil which I cover with a horse bedding material made from hemp (Brand names Aubiose or Hemcore). The chickens love to dig in it (to find worms and bugs) and dust bathe. To give them access to grass I free range them in the garden for a couple of hours a day. You can also grow some grass seed in a tray with some compost and they will love tearing it apart. Aubiose is also very absorbant and will help with keeping smells down and composts really easily. On the subject of smellls, If you put a teaspoon of Garlic Powder (also for horses) it stops their poop from smelling (really works).
Last edited by Rooster on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My pink half of the drainpipe seperates me from you"
Johnboy
KG Regular

I do not keep Chickens now and have not done so for several years but I used to keep 50 in a 2 acre orchard/paddock which was divided roughly into 4 sections and the hens were then rotated.
With chickens they have a tendency to make the area acidic and when they were moved on to a fresh pasture a thin application of Lime was given. The pastures soon recovered and it would take about a year for the rotation to be completed. I appreciate that most people haven't got two acres to play with but I feel an application of Lime would assist in most cases.
Of interest is the fact that when cages are to be phased out there are 18000000 caged layers in the UK and to house the same amount of birds outside will take 45000 acres. Because of the price of land many people will give up keeping poultry and as a result eggs are going to leap in price by an enormous amount so I have decided possibly it might be best to start keeping a few hens again now. If I do I will go for Marans as to me they give a wonderful egg although they may not be the best for quantity it's quality that I want. If I do begin again I will start off with a breeding trio and take it from there.
JB.
Gilly C
KG Regular

There is nothing to beat a new laid egg for breakfast, we have been known to raid the chicken hut some mornings when we have visitors :lol: my Silkie and Guinea fowl eggs are only small so really you need 2 per person and they only take 2 mins to soft boil
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Gilly C, you had better not invite me to stay, as i like six eggs for breakfast. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lizzie
KG Regular

johnsgirl wrote:Lizzie

How intriguing can you tell us anything about your opportunity?

Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't been on here much and missed your question.

I may have the opportunity to go and do some travelling in 2 years time. I may go to America, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and around the UK.

It's only in the very early stages of planning yet but, if it comes off, i'll be a very happy bunny. I will be following a rock band around the world being a groupie :shock: My daughter is mortified but what the hell. Just cos there's snow on the roof don't mean the fires gone out :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie, you really must take this chance if at all possible, if you don't have a crack at it, you will regret it for the rest of your life.
I really do wish you the very best of luck.

And if you want some of the snow knocking of your roof, just give me a call. :twisted: :lol: :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lizzie
KG Regular

Haven't had snow here Herby. Had some sleet on Tuesday but that's been it really. It's just wet and cold
Lots of love

Lizzie
Rooster
KG Regular

Lizzie

when my wife asked if we could rescue some ex battery hens I was not too keen but once you see how funny and instantly likeable they are you will be hooked. The most wonderful eggs you'll ever eat, perfect compost and the funniest little creatures to watch. Hope it all goes well. :D :D :D
"My pink half of the drainpipe seperates me from you"
lizzie
KG Regular

I haven't ruled it out Rooster. I'll just see how things work out first. I just feel that it's too much to ask someone to look after my chucks while I go swanning off for a while.

I'll be able to enjoy Grocks chucks if she decides to get any.

I already had names picked out for mine too........

Where abouts in Widnes are you Rooster. A cousin of mine lives your way.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic