2nd Cropping Potatoes - will they be worth it?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin Miles
KG Regular

Given the prospect of potato and other shortages, and the fact that my crop is less than 50% of last years, I am wondering whether 2nd cropping potatoes would be worth it? If so what variety would you choose?
Lyn
KG Regular

Carlingford seems to be the variety recommended in most catalogues. I tried growing a few Carlingford last year in pots ready for Christmas, but I only got a mediocre crop from them. I was quite disappointed, considering the success I had earlier in the year with Orla and Lady Christl. Looking back, I think I harvested them too soon - I should have left them a few more weeks (but that would have meant risking frost). Also bear in mind that growing second crops need a meticulous blight control regime!!! Maybe you will have better success. It's always worth a try.
Lyn
Compo
KG Regular

I am going to try them in my giant cold frame and hope this will keep the frost and blight away, if carlingford is a good variety can anyone recommend a supplier please?

Compo
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Hi Compo,

I have decided to try anyway. The Suttons/Dobies group offer Carlingford. Suttons also have Maris Peer and Charlotte whilst Dobies have Bambino, Mimi and Vale of Emeralds. I have opted for Charlotte as we like that one. They will all be grown in pots and I am busy sifting soil ready.
Lyn
KG Regular

I think I got my Carlingfords last year from Thompson & Morgan. I didn't realise that Charlotte is a good variety for second cropping - I might have another bash this year, this time with Charlotte, as I have some left from the crop I harvested back in June. Will I need to chit them first?
Lyn
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Lyn

Not sure whether this years crop would work. The ones they sell for second cropping have been kept in cold storage so that they are 'specially primed' to grow as soon as they are planted. But maybe this is just for the convenience of sellers as they then have something to sell later on. Maybe Johnboy can tell us more.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
Regret to say that I only grow 'Earlies' for myself as I have a free source of main crop spuds. I get 16x55lb free as part of a contract.
These are 2nd earlies sown as main crop to avoid the late frosts hereabouts.
I have never been into even trying to grow for Christmas as somehow I really do not fancy early spuds with my Christmas Dinner as I am very partial to 'Roasties'.
I store my free spuds very cool and I was using them up to the first week in June this year.
As regards priming these 2nds for Christmas I am not familiar with the technique. My Uni days were back when Pontius was a pilot!!
JB.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Thanks for the reply Johnboy. I am not particularly interested in having new potatoes for Christmas, just in making up the shortfall due to blight.
Lyn
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll give it a miss this year, then, and just concentrate on the earlies and second earlies next year.
Regards, Lyn
Colin_M
KG Regular

:?: Can anyone advise the recommended latest time to sow a second potato crop? I'd be relcutant to start them for a month or so, whilst all the blight spores are rampaging. When would be too late?

The ones they sell for second cropping have been kept in cold storage so that they are 'specially primed' to grow as soon as they are planted

Yes, I remember seeing this approach mentioned in the Marshalls catalogue. I guess that unless you can get your ordinary seed potatoes to chit, this might be the best approach - anyone else got any views on this?

Colin
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Hi Colin,

I ordered Dithane 945 along with the potatoes - just in case. They have sent me that but not the potatoes - bit miffed about that as I want to get as much growing time as possible. However if we get the now usual late Autumn it shouldn't be a problem particularly as a few years ago, after a very wet Spring I wasn't able to plant until the beginning of May, but was still able to starting lifting them in late June. We shall see. It is all an experiment anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic