seville orange marmalade

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Good! Can I go back to my previous note that it's all about texture and the type of marmalade that we make. if you have a good food processor, the job will be easy. Combine your Seville oranges with lemons and limes - you'll make the best marmalade you have ever tasted.
John
KG Regular

This one runs and runs! Thanks for giving it a buimp up to the top of the list again.
I agree with you Guest. As I said in my method on page 1, if your food processor has a grater blade the tedious job of cutting the peel is done in no time. Also if you have a pressure cooker the cooking of the fruit is pretty quick and more of the colour and flavour of the fruit is retained.

John
Sue
KG Regular

Chez & Piglet - didn't see a post from Beccy with the requested recipie so got this one from my mum who is an ace jam maker. She says if you want to add a ginger flavour chuck some sliced fresh ginger root in the muslin bag when doing the intial boiling up. She reckons use about a 1 inch piece and no need to peel it.

Peel zest off 12 limes and shred. Cut white pith off & keep. Chop the flesh up and keep any pips. Chuck the lime flesh, any juice and zest into a preserving pan. Tie the white pith and seeds in a muslin bag and chuck them in. Add 5 pints of water and bring to the boil, then simmer until the liquid reduces by 1/2. Once cool squeeze the muslin bag to get the pectin out and stir that in. The contents of the bag can now be ditched.

Add 1lb sugar to every pint of pulp\liquid mix and boil rapidly until you get a set which will take about 1/2 an hour that allow to cool slightly before putting in jars so the zest doesn't all rise to the top.

Sue :D
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks Sue. Beccy did post her recipe separately, but no problem having two recipes to choose from. I will be happy to try both! Thanks again.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

thanks Sue
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
lizzie
KG Regular

Ok, I actually made my first batch of marmalade today using Grocks preserving pan. I'm thrilled with it. The jars are sitting in my kitchen cooling down before I put them away.

One question though. I used the mamade and I added the 4lb of sugar like it said. Can you add less sugar because it's a little sweet for my taste? Does anyone know?
Lots of love

Lizzie
pigletwillie
KG Regular

if you use less sugar Lizzie, it doesnt keep very well
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
lizzie
KG Regular

Fairy fluff Piglet. I'll make the lime one next.

I know a fairy
His name is Nuff
Fairy Nuff
Lots of love

Lizzie
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

can i av me pan back now you domestic goddess,or do i hv to wait till ye do the lime one?only messin keep it till youve finished
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
lizzie
KG Regular

No probs. It's all clean and everthing. Won't be doing lime one until back end of next week anyway so i'll bring it tomorrow in the boot.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic