aubergine problems

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

I have 6 aubergine plants in an unheated greenhouse. All were doing well, flowers galore, but recently some of the leaves on all the plants are going yellow and wilting. The odd thing is that only half of the leaf is affected at first - one side of the main vein. Eventually it all withers. I've cut some of them off and all new growth seems healthy so far. Any ideas as to what this might be, how it happened and what I can do about it, if anything?
-----------------
Granny
Primrose
KG Regular

I wonder whether its due to the colder temperatures at night because the same thing has happened to some of my aubergine plants although mine are outdoors in a sheltered position against the house wall. However to my surprise, knowing they prefer warm temperatures, they still seem to have been cropping quite well so the plants don't seem to mind losing the odd leaf. I may also have overwatered mine a little with some liquid feed which has left them standing for several hours with their feet in full drip trays and the compost getting over-wet.
helixdesign
KG Regular

Dear Granny

I've got the smae problem with my Aubergines. I have been leaving the greenhouse windows open overnight and I think they have been getting cold.

Helix
Lyn
KG Regular

My aubergines are succumbing in exactly the same way - spreading brown-yellow patches on the leaves, causing them to shrivel and die off, but the upper leaves seem to be perfectly OK. Lots of flower buds which are very reluctant to open. Only two small aubergines so far, between five plants. Mine are also outside, sheltered against the wall of the house, but are definitely not happy this year, probably due to the prolonged lack of sunshine.
Lyn
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies. I'm inclined to agree that it's the cold as I leave my greenhouse windows open at night as well. They're looking a lot happier recently.
---------------
Granny
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Granny,
Again night temperatures are very low for this part of the season. It is 5.15am and I have just nipped out and had a look at 3 min/max thermometers and they are all under 10C and one of them under 9C.
None of the Solanaceae family like temperatures below 10C and whereas they exist they do not flourish.
I am convinced that it is these low night temperatures that are to blame for your predicament.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

I've still got a number of small aubergines forming on my plants so I've now got some fleece handy and will cover them over at night if the temperature is forecast is drop too low. But what a pain! You don't expect to be worrying about this at what is supposed to be the height of summer. My outdoor peppers on the other hand don't seem to be bothered about the drop in temperature at all and are all doing well although I suspect they are a little more robust.
Granny
KG Regular

My peppers are fine and I've already eaten quite a few at the green stage. Aubergines seem to be recovering and I have some tiny fruits on each, so maybe it will all be ok.
Thanks, Johnboy, for your info - very useful.
-------------------
Granny
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Granny and Primrose,
Further to my earlier posting regarding night temperatures I listened to the Farming Today programme (as usual) and the weather forecast for the week is; night temperatures of between 7C and 10C all this week. So, very low for this time of year.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic