Tomato Latah

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Lyn
KG Regular

I have been given a few "Latah" tomato plants, but no-one seems to know whether they are a bush variety or whether they need to be pinched out to grow as a vine, also whether they are outdoor or under-cover varieties. Has anyone grown these, and how do I treat them?
Regards, Lyn
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

check out this link from the archive - seems like latah is a super early tomato (read in mid July), and a bush type. If the flavour is good, I'd be interested to know, and maybe I'll try it next year

viewtopic.php?t=602&view=next
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Lyn,
Latah is a variety bred in an Idaho university and is list as an Early Maturing Determinate. It is said to be bred out ot an original Swedish Variety although it doesn't say if it is an F1 I do not know if it would breed true from seed. It may well be the combination of a series of open pollination's so who knows? Anybody?
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

More information and picture here:-

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/tomatoes.html

And something from Moscow itself (Idaho, not Russia :!: )

http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/tomatoes.html

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

They are very scruffy plants that you have to leave to do as they want. I tried them last year and nearly threw them out in the early stages but was glad I didn't. Very early fruit (mine in heated greenhouse are swelling rapidly), very fleshy and reasonably flavoured but can be odd shapes. They also cropped OK for me last year in cold greenhouse and outside.
If you search for Latah you will find some discussion about them last year.
Lyn
KG Regular

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll leave them to "sprawl", and try a couple outside to see how they do.
Regards, Lyn
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic