Pruning grapes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Malk
KG Regular

My vine has finally shown signs of producing grapes, only a few tiny buds at the moment, but it's more than ever before.

I planted it outside last autumn, but trained it into the greenhouse.

Question is how and when do I prune it? I know there's articles in KG, but I'll never get time to fish them out and find the right ones.
Welcome to Finland!!
vivie veg
KG Regular

Grapes should be pruned during the winter before the sap starts to flow or the plant will 'bleed' to death.

However once the new growth has produced flowers you can prune the NEW growth after two leaves past the flower cluster. This should direct the energy and light into the developing fruit.

If you are really dedicated you can use a pair of VERY fine scissors to thin out the fruit so that you have fewer but bigger fruit on each bunch. However I never bother as the black birds don't mind the small fruit and they always get to them before I do :shock:
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

I had a lesson from my neighbour on pruning our grape vine the other day. He pulled off all the lower folliage below the first fruit clusters.

Also it is important to keep the vine open by cutting or pulling off sappy foliage so air gets to the vine to avoid mildew. If the vine is congested and the air is humid powdery mildew can get a grip.

Vivie is correct the main prune should be in the dormant period once all the leaves and sap have dropped (for us that's December). Hard pruning is what our neighbour recommends which i've followed for the last 4 years and seems to work. The form is established over a pergolla so i cut it right back to the main stem. But general rule is main branches back by half the new growth (unless you are training it somewhere. Side shoots right back to 1 bud. Feed and mulch in spring. Pinch out side shoots after they have set fruit, a few leaves beyond the fruit.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
Malk
KG Regular

Great, sounds like I did ok, pruning it last autumn when the leaves fell off and I'll give it a wee prune when the flowers form.

didn't know about removing the leaves, thanks cevenol jardin
Welcome to Finland!!
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

I,m impressed you've got a vine growing in Scotland - my mum has one in Lothian and get tiny grapes. Do you manage to get edibles?
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
Malk
KG Regular

this is the first year I've had any sign of grapes. I planted it outside the greenhouse last autumn and let it come in through a hole in the bottom. It did nothing when it was just in a pot in the greenhouse, obviously needed more space.

Will keep you informed if we have our own vendemmia (italian for grape harvest)this autumn.
Welcome to Finland!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic