It's here!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

An unusual experience for NW Wales - to get up, look out and say "Diolch byth, mae'n bwrw glaw!" - Thank goodness, it's raining!

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Rain, i'm sure i have heard that word before, but it's been so long ago i've forgot what it is. :)

I think we are going to miss it yet again, i don't think we have had a drop all this month so far. :?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

I've just seen the weather on the BBC which announced that we had no chance of rain here until later tomorrow.

Simultaneously a few drops of rain hit the window and there is now a very fine drizzle coming down. :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
madasafish
KG Regular

I find Metcheck Weatherwatch far more accurate than BBC Gradening weather forecast.
Rain yesterday to the hour (!) when Metcheck said .. and they said very little. Amazingly good!
John
KG Regular

From my visits to Wales, Alan, I seem to remember that your rain is a great deal 'wetter' than the stuff that the rest of us get!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
alan refail
KG Regular

Useful Welsh phrase, John: Piso bwrw (or as you more polite Saxons would say "Raining jolly hard!"
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We are still basking in the warmth here. :)
All joking apart, if we miss this rain tonight, i don't think we are meant to be getting anymore for at least five days.
The grass is starting to die back in quite a few lawns already, and the soil is starting to split open.
Now how does that rain dance go that i used to do. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Multiveg
KG Regular

What about "old women and sticks" Alan?

But with the rain, in half hour, in my small garden, dealt with 270 slugs/snails.
alan refail
KG Regular

I'd forgotten "hen wragedd a ffyn"

Alan
Malk
KG Regular

I'll try to send a bit southwards, we've got too much again.
Welcome to Finland!!
Allan
KG Regular

This looks useful, can be used for various other phenomena.
Allan

Check the forecast rainfall on our new Map Presenter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/rain.shtml
Losos
KG Regular

Well I'm a few hundred miles East of all you but it's amazingly dry here also. Usually in March and sometimes early April we have about six foot of snow to melt which, even if there's no rain, is enough to keep the soil damp. Not this year 'tho.
Regards
Compo
KG Regular

16c today and warm and muggy, but some nice soft rain this morning and tonight, think I had better sharpen my hoe for the weekend as the annual weeds will be having a ball!!

Compo
Monika
KG Regular

You lucky things, those who have had rain! To date, we have had 3mm of rain in the whole of April and it shows. Rain was forecast for today for the west of England, but we certainly didn't get any (and we are only just over an hour from the coast). I was hoeing this morning and there are still great clods of soil which have to be broken up with the hoe. I planted 64 broad beans 'Witkiem Manita' from rootrainers, so made the hole, filled it with water, planted the broad beans and watered them in again, almost like leeks! The forecast is for very light rain over night and then dry and sun again for the foreseeable future (on the MetOffice, Metcheck and BBC websites!).
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Here too Monika. I can't get a fork into my clay at all. It's baked hard with big cracks in. We have a little light rain forecast for tomorrow but after that back to warm and sunny. All my gardening time is spent watering. It was the same last year only the dry months were May and June.
The only advantage is that the weeds can't grow either!
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic