mice

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

david71
KG Regular

i sow my peas in modules. lately they are being eaten by mice before they germinate.
can anyone offer advice on this problem with the exception of soaking the seed in parafin.
thanks
david71
tea-shot
KG Regular

I had to solve this problem this year as our mice are obviously MENSA candidates and managed to eat the bait off the traps without springing them. I just used a clear propagator cover over the tray with the pea seeds in until they had sprouted and were about an inch tall. Since then they have been in the cold frame with no cover to protect them and the mice haven't touched them. Hope this helps - I didn't fancy soaking seeds in paraffin or anything else either :)
david71
KG Regular

thank you tea-shot, I will try covering the seeds, as you suggest, which should work
david71
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi David,
I explained sometime back how I protect my Peas with wire mesh Pea Guards. If you do a search you may find it. If not I will post it again should you request.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

If you look in Technical Data I have put all you need to know to make your own versatile cage system. It is also very useful for keeping rabbits and slugs off lettuce, peas, beans, sweetcorn and any other seedlings etc. I have 7 sets and am woundering about a few more.
Allan
david71
KG Regular

thank you johnboy. could you post the note again?
many thanks
david71
david71
KG Regular

thanks alan. did you devise an alternative method for tying panels together?
david71
Allan
KG Regular

David, no. I thought about a system of hinges where one part has a tube, the other a pin in a similar tube on the principle of farm gate hinges but it is too much bother to make when there are so many other jobs crying for attention so it's back to garden wire.
david71
KG Regular

point taken allen. thanks anyway
david71
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic