Sowing celery

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

What is the best way to sow celery.e.g. temperature range, compost type, depth of sowing etc. I am having trouble and don't know if it is sun scorch, use of multi-purpose compost, uneven watering. I don't remember things going wrong in the past.
Allan
Colin_M
KG Regular

I'd be interested in answers to this too.

I'm trying celery this year for the first time (our Guinea Pig eats so much it seemed worth the investment :D ).

So far, I put some in jiffy pots, so I could start them indoors. They still took 4-5 days to germinate and are currently around 1cm high with 2 sets of leaves.

I've put them outside now and was going to put them into the ground fairly soon. However any other advice would be welcome.

Colin
Allan
KG Regular

This is Medwyn's idea:-
Seed Compost and Vermiculite
Ideally celery needs to be sown on the surface of some good quality seed compost and then very lightly covered over with a small amount of Vermiculite. The seed tray should then be placed in a propagator or on a propagating bench or heated blanket allowing plenty of bottom heat to warm up the compost and induce an even germination. It can take anything up to 3 weeks to germinate and it should be transplanted whilst still at the seedling leaf stage and just before the true rough leaf appears.
Tigger
KG Regular

I've given up on celery and only grow celeriac. For the amount of celery I need - it's more cost effective to buy it locally, whilst I can use (and give away) large amounts of celeriac.

Happy to be persuaded otherwise, of course......
Allan
KG Regular

I have only tried celariac once. Result was no usable crop. In contrast my block of celery last year sold very well and at a good price, I could have used at least twice as much. I can't see celariac being acceptable as a salad ingredient but if that's what suits you carry on.
I sowed Loretta this year, a new Fothergill British F1, RHS recommended.Good picture on Fothergill website. I picked up a recommendation to surface sow on vermiculite, scatter with more vermiculite. It is about the smallest vegetable seed there is.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic