Carrot Nantes Frubund

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

Just received my KG Potato offer from T&M plus the 'free' seeds amongs with was the Carrot Nantes Frubund. Anyone any experience of this?

Apparently, it is the first genuine autumn sowing carrot, exceptionally early and cold resistant. Given that I already have Early Nantes 2, and about to get another packet of this with next month's KG, would I be better off sowing these and keeping the Frubund until Autumn, or would this be a better bet for an early crop under cloches? And does cold resistance equate to good germination under cold conditions?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I have actually never heard of this variety but would imagine they are very late summer sown and there would be no problem with germination.
What are the instructions on the packet as I would be more than interested to know.
JB.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy,

It is a Dutch variety - Frubund means Fast Crop - highly commended by the RHS UK. Described as the first genuine autumn sowing carrot, exceptionally early and cold resistant. It will give you carrots in your garden in the spring when nobody else has them. Sow from late winter to autumn (I had actually read that the other way round because of the above description, though I don't know quite what they mean by late winter)... Continue sowing until mid- or even late autumn in mild spells. Winter sowings for a really early crop can be made in a coldframe or greenhouse - are they implying transplanting?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic