Not sweet corn

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chris_a
KG Regular

I would like to grow maize/corn that isn't sweet so that I can make humitas for my ecuadorian daughter in law. Polenta is not a substitute I am told. Can anyone recommend a maize to grow or a substitute for corn?

many thanks
Chris
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chris,
I know this may sound strange but Fodder Maize is probably the best as it is just basic Maize without any enhancements.
JB.
Chris_a
KG Regular

I will give it a try.
thanks
Chris
fish
KG Regular

i was told by a farmer that our climate isnt hot enough to finish the maize off and thats why its shreaded and silaged.
for all in country living,check out :
www.overthegate.co.uk
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Fish,
I very regularly eat Fodder Maize cobs and whilst it maybe true that the crop of cobs may not make it commercially viable to pick they produce some wonderful results. I mentioned this to Chris because all the Sweet Corn you can buy from a gardening catalogue has been enhanced in some way or another and he wants basic fundamental un-enhanced Maize.
Fodder Maize is just that.
Fodder Maize is grown for Silage not for the Cobs and any existing cobs do get shredded but you can rest assured that the farmer who gave you the information has a good meal or two before it is harvested.
JB.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Hi Chris
There's an american seed company that ships to europe and has quite a range of heirloom corn
http://www.seedfest.co.uk/seeds/corn/corn.html

If they don't have what you are looking for they may be able to advise. They have been helpful when i have used them before.

Hope you find what you are looking for sounds tasty.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic