Leeks

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Hello All

I was going to plant some leeks and in the seed box I found 5 different types. Now, I don't know which ones to plant. I've got Prizetaker, Jolent, Giant Winter, Argenta and Autumn Giant 3.

Which ones would be the best ones to plant as a good all rounder. I haven't had much success with leeks so would appreciate any help.
lizzie
KG Regular

Sorry, that was me. I forgot to log in. :roll:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie

I can vouch for Jolant, they're very long and slender with loads of blanched stem. They're the replacement for King Richard and are growing beautifully on my allotment. However, they are about over now and I'm relying on my St Victor (pot leeks) for the next few months. Haven't tried the others you mention.

Chantal :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Geoff
KG Regular

I only grow leeks for winter use so may not be qualified to answer if you are thinking of sowing them now.
I sow the first week of April in heated greenhouse, grow them on a bit in cold greenhouse then roughly spread them out into a drill like a row of spring onions less than an inch apart. I leave them growing on until I’ve cleared the first early potatoes by which time they are thicker than a pencil. I then plant some in holes in the traditional way at the bottom of a shallow trench and leave the rest to use as the baby leeks there has been a long thread about. Sometime in early autumn I weed them and earth them up to level with the soil from the trench and leave them to get on with it until about Christmas.
The only variety I have grown from your list is Winter Density. It was a disaster and went all slimy as though it wasn’t hardy. A neighbour had the same trouble with this variety. This year I am growing half each of Musselburgh and Oarsmen. We are using the Musselburgh at the moment as the Oarsmen look like they are standing really well.
lizzie
KG Regular

Thanks for the info. I was looking to plant them now for use through autumn and winter. Every other time i've done leeks it's been a disaster so thought i would ask.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic