Automatic watering systems

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

spud
KG Regular

Can anyone recommend an automatic watering system for a greenhouse, run from a water butt. I understand that some of the automatic watering timers need a minimum of 1 bar pressure, but I have no idea what pressure a water butt would typically produce. If anyone has found an auomatic timer that works off a butt I would love to hear about it.
cheers
Spud
Tigger
KG Regular

I posted some details of a company that sells water butts (amongst many other things) at very good prices and I think they had watering systems as well. If you can't find the details by searching this Forum, send me a PM and I'll look up the details for you.
spud
KG Regular

Hi Tigger

I found your post - was it Smiths of the Forest of Dean? I looked at their website but they don't seem to have any watering systems

regards

Spud
Tigger
KG Regular

Yes - it was Smith's. They're very helpful, but that's no good to you if they don't do watering systems! I'll have another look around. I'm sure I saw something somewhere.......
Allan
KG Regular

The description 'automatic' is too loose to choose a system, many ways of doing it. Have you got electricity, are you growing in rows, pots, trays of eedlings, growbags, ring culture, how long between attrendances etc.
For a timer independent of water pressure look at Galcon, now widely available.
(I really ought to write a book about it, there is so much that could be said that it would be inappropriate to attempt to cover all options in one mailing)
For further inspiration look st Interploy Irrigation and Garden Warehouse Direct. DO NOT DEPEND SOLELY ON THE GARDEN CENTRES FOR CHOICE OF PARTS UNLESS MONEY DOES NOT MATTER>
Allan
spud
KG Regular

Hi Allan

Thanks for yor advice. I have no elecricity as my greenhouse is on my allotment. I want to rig up an automatic timer and drip feed system to a water butt to water tomato plants, cucumbers and peppers over the summer. Do you have any advice on the type of drippers that should be used?
cheers
Spud
Allan
KG Regular

Self-compensating drip heads from Interploy irrigation. Get the reservoir as high as you can.
Do you really mean TO a water butt.You will have to get the water from the butt up to a header tank, by hand if no power.
Allan
Mole
KG Regular

I've used the older version of the timer described in this link:

http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/lawn-c ... 80493.aspx

For 3 years I have had soaker hose (leaky pipe type - made from recycled tyres), with a 1.5 - 2m head - tank supplied by spring water. I set it up to irrigate rhododendrons in a customers garden. Can use 16mm barbed fittings or normal domestic hose connectors.

No problems so far batteries last all season.

The Galcon version is a good piece of kit but costs the best part of £40 - I use it at home in the tunnel.
Allan
KG Regular

I bought two Draper timers, had to throw them out as they stopped working for no apparent reason. I have used 8 of the better Gardena ones but they depended on water pressure to stop the flow and they die on you if they get too hot, it cost a lot to get them repaired. Galcons are only 4 programmes but don't depend on water pressure, easy enough to set up once you get the hang of them, I have 4 of those, the worst trouble is that they don't screw up to the most common outside water taps, you have to put an extra washer in the top.
Allan
Mole
KG Regular

That's interesting Allan - I find most gardena stuff to be a bit fragile - a client of mine bought lots of it at garden centre prices - they often seem to be made from a grey plastic which falls to pieces from UV degradation after a couple of years. Also a bit overpriced I think.

The draper ones are fine so far 3 seasons outside now, except in winter.

mole
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic