RSPB BIG GARDEN BIRDWATCH

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

Are you takng part in the Big Garden Birdwatch? Saturday or Sunday 27-28 January. How many birds does your garden attract?
Details on www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch
Hope you can spare an hour.

Alan
Lyn
KG Regular

We do the Big Garden Birdwatch every year, and the number of different species of birds seen varies very little - always the tits(blue, great, long-tail and coal): the finches (chaffinch, greenfinch and sometimes goldfinch); robin, blackbird,wood pigeon, dunnock. Sometimes starlings, magpie, collared dove. We do have other visitors to the garden, but so far never during the Birdwatch hour, unfortunately, so I feel I would be "cheating" if I included them!
Regards, Lyn
mazmezroz
KG Regular

I've done the birdwatch for the last couple of years - I've done it via the BBC. Is the BBC involved again this year?
alan refail
KG Regular

Yes
see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/nature/sites ... atch.shtml

Happy and successful watching

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Tigger
KG Regular

We'll be doing it as we do every year.
CatBud
KG Regular

Yeah I'll be doing the bird watch. Had a bird table for about 6 months now-recently bought a bird feeder and some fat balls and peanuts. Sat at my window now but no interest so far-hopefully they'll get he message by the weekend!
alan refail
KG Regular

Sometimes they turn up to be counted - other times they don't. Two years ago I saw about two birds in the hour. This year I am confidently expecting the usual variety including last year's hatches of about 100 sparrows and the recently arrived flock of starlings - the first we have seen here in seven years :!:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
CatBud
KG Regular

Yesterday a pair of collared doves found their way into my garden! It was rather funny watching one trying to jump onto the bird table from the roof of the bird table-they looked like giants!
The good news is that they have returned today! Maybe a pair?
CatBud
KG Regular

make that 4 collared doves!
mazmezroz
KG Regular

We're in a rented house with a large garden backing onto open countryside so I was looking forward to recording all the varieties of birds I'd enjoyed seeing over the last few weeks. What did I spot in my hour? 2 pigeons, 2 magpies, a blackbird and a great tit. I saw more in my suburban modern house with a titchy garden last year!!!!!!!
alan refail
KG Regular

I've noticed that birds seem to know when it's counting time and stay away. I did manage 65 starlings (we have never had any here until this year), but only by counting at a time I expect them flocking to feed in our field. Two blackbirds, a robin and a handful of sparrows (I've counted 50+ of them in recent weeks).

I suppose now the count is over they'll all be back :!:

Alan
jane E
KG Regular

What's happened to the house sparrows? We had tree sparrows last summer obviously nesting locally, but no house sparrows and I see less and less of them. Also no starlings. Blue tits and great tits galore. Anyone know? Are we entering the realm of the silent dawn at last with pesticides etc diminishing their food supply or is it something else?
Primrose
KG Regular

Catbud - I suspect the collared doves you saw were a pair -or two pairs as I believe I read somewhere that they mate for life. We've had the same pair coming for years. After nesting time we usually see a couple of babies but once mature the parents seem to drive them away as for the remainder of the year our two regulars appear every day. I don't know about yours but we find them very "twitchy" birds. They fly off from our bird table whenever they see any movement inside the house.
Monika
KG Regular

To all you folk who took part in the Great Bird Watch and didn't see many birds: did you choose your time carefully? Because birds usually have certain favourite times of the day to feed, one is first thing in the morning just after waking up and also just before going to roost in the late afternoon. That's when you will see the most activity. Around midday there is often a very quiet time (I suspect they are having a little siesta!) . We had lots of sightings including a flock of long-tailed tits, several goldfinches, bullfinches and a redwing. But then, although it's only a smallish garden, it overlooks a 2 acre village nature reserve in the Yorkshire Dales.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic