Losing track of un-read items

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Generally speaking, this site is very good at highlighting posts that are new or have been updated since you last looked at them. This can save a lot of looking around.

However it seems to do it by looking at the date & time you last visited, then marking everything submitted before then as read. Thus, if you log in, read one item then log off (eg. get called away) everything is shown as read. It's really frustrating!

Can you suggest any solutions to this?
Last edited by Garlic_Guy on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Chantal
KG Regular

I'd noticed the same thing but thought it was just me or my computer. Mr PH, can you help please (if you're still talking to me that is :lol:).
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Belinda
KG Regular

I've noticed this happening too recently, this morning first thing when I accessed the forum there were several new topics that I know for certain I had not read but they were not highlighted.

I've just come back now and realised that I wasn't properly logged on although I had previously selected the auto log on option. I've logged on, re-selected the auto log on and low and behold new topics are highlighted again??
Mr Potato Head

I'm afraid there's no immediately obvious answer to this one... I have noticed it myself, but had assumed it was me having a brainstorm! :twisted:

I'll see what I can do... please be patient... :wink:
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Mr Potato Head wrote:I'll see what I can do... please be patient... :wink:

Hi Mr P.H. Are you having any luck?
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Mr Potato Head

I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of options here. The forum isn't just going by date and time of logging on, because if you go into a thread and come out again, it'll mark that one as read, but not the others... however, I've yet to establish exactly how it is doing it.

I'll keep you posted of any developments...
Chantal
KG Regular

I've often found that when I go into the forum there's lots of yellow dots but when I read ONE posting, all the yellow dots disappear so I don't know where I am.

Today I found I little thing on the bottom right (when in main index) which says "view all posts since last visit". By clicking that I was given a page with just the unread posts from all sections and I could work my way through them. Brilliant! :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic