General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mike1964
KG Regular

anyone recomend a suitable leek seed for growing baby leeks
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mike,
There are several commercial varieties recommended for Baby Leek Production.
I think the only variety available to the home grower is TORNADO which is available from Tuckers Seeds and there maybe other suppliers.
Tornado is an Autumn Mammoth Variety which has replaced Goliath and bears good anti rust qualities.
It can be used as Baby Leeks or you can take it on to fruition and it is very long standing from November until the end of April.
Hope this helps.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

Can I have more please on baby leeks.It seems to me there is more to this one than is generally known.
We have found that the customers much prefer the small leeks to the big, tough ones that seem to win prizes at shows and supermarkets.
First, variety. I have been using King Richard on account of its long blanched stem but one year I sowed a batch of that and also a batch of Musselburgh, they didn't get planted out but they both sold equally well as baby leeks, I only wished I had more and as Musselburgh is always the cheapest seed by far why worry about anything else.King Richard is now quoted as having been superceded but I bought some this season. The names you quote are unfamiliar to me. I have never ordered from Tuckers, from my impression online of their range of seeds which mostly seemed commonplace varieties it wasn't worth starting yet another catalogue and account. Things could have changed with them.
It seems to me that you can treat leeks two ways, sow very early for a summer pulling rather than the conventional planting out, or alternatively sow late summer and let them stand the winter to be used before they have a chance to go to seed.Both techniques should work.
Allan
Chantal
KG Regular

King Richard has been replaced by Jolant and I grew both this season. Having grown King Richard for years I have to admit Jolant is the same but better as they don't bend over when they get really tall. Long white stems and beautiful flavour.

Chantal
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Allan
KG Regular

Good morning Chantal. Are you another early bird?
I hav just printed out Tucker's leek list.
Tornado is listed but no quantity specified which cast doubt on getting sufficient seed for commercial production of baby leeks. Varnas suggested for baby leek production. 250 seeds for £1.50 Musselburgh is 500 seeds for 85p.
From Moles seeds for summer to autum cropping we have Zermatt or Imperial Summer at around a fiver for 2500 seeds or for something more hardy Tornado quoted November-March, similar price or pelleted at twice the price.
Allan
KG Regular

D T Brown sell Tornado @ 300 seeds for £1.25p.That seems reasonable
Allan
A .guest

Allan. I have never once eaten a "tough" Exhibition leek (or from a supermarket come to that) and Tuckers is one of the most comprehensive catalogues a gardener could hope to come across.Stop posting rubbish.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Allan,
If you after quantity you must go to Tuckers Market Growers Catalogue. In that catalogue Tornado seeds are £8.50 for 5000 seeds which is exactly the same price as Musselburgh quoted by you which is .17pence per seed.
I have the Home catalogue it quite clearly states
"350 seeds unless otherwise stated" and as the quantity is not specified alongside the item the quantity for Tornado is 350 for £1.40 = .4 pence per seed. Although D.T. Brown seed at £1.25 is perfectly acceptable at .4166 pence per seed for a gardeners growing for themselves.
If you want quantity you must be prepared to pay the price for the quantity.
If you had to pay somebody to sow that seed for you you would also consider paying out for pelleted seed. Even the price for pelleted seed from Moles is cheaper than the price you thought was good from DTB's.
The reason that I didn't mention other varieties was because the rest all seem to be commercial only and I presumed right or wrong that Mike who raised the question is a home grower and not a commercial grower.
I suppose if you analyse Mike's posting almost any Leek will make a Baby Leek but not every Leek make a large one. A few years ago when I spent some time in Hereford County Hospital and when I was discharged the Leeks were over the top for planting out and as I was prevented by health not to even try planting them out I used them as baby leeks from the module that they had been growing in and the variety was of course Musselburgh! They made excellent eating.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

What happened to this idea of buying seeds from Moles in commercial quantities, wouldn't it be cheaper as they surely would keep well.They even do Tornado pelleted.20 other varieties of leek seeds in that catalogue, only 10 more in Tucker's
A. guest

Anybody understand that last posting by Allen in the context of this thread?
Chantal
KG Regular

Nope, but I thought I was being thick as I've not understood several of the others either! :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Allan
KG Regular

Johnboy , thanks very much for all that.I will take it into full consideration. One point I found in my browsing, it seems that King Richard has an unusually fast growing time (quoted 75 days), probably less than that for baby ones, and as I already have bought some seeds and can germinate it any time in my new greenhouse with lots of propogator space I can get it going now for a very early crop. I think your remarks re the baby Musselburgh shows that even the mediocre varieties can give good results given the right treatment and harvested young.
John
KG Regular

Hello Mike
I've grown leek 'Oarsman' and 'Carlton' as minileeks with excellent results. I sow them quite late and they will grow on and develop slowly through the late autumn and early winter into small leeks about the thickness of your thumb. Both these are F1 varieties and a lot more expensive than the other varieties mentioned.
John

PS
Allan - don't knock Tuckers please! They might not have a glossy catalogue and pretty seed packets but for us backyard veg gardeners nobody else out there can touch them for quality, variety and a prompt, efficient service.
Allan
KG Regular

John, That's all as maybe but I have enough seeds now, I have spent well over £100 to date and if you saw my list if seeds bought you would understand why I don't want to buy any more or start an account with another supplier.I can get Tornado from existing suppliers. As it is there are several catalogues here that I shall not be ordering from.I did go to Tucker's commercial list and had a look, maybe another time, the whole project is experimental. All I can say about the suppliers that I use now it I couldn't fault any of them for efficiency and speed of service. I am particularly impressed by Seeds of Italy, foil packets every time so they will keep and the quantities supplied are extremely generous.Can you explain why Tucker's seeds are not mentioned in the magazine list.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Allan,
For goodness sake give us a rest. As ususal you are getting futher and further away from the very simple original question.
You apparently do not read anything properly because Tuckers are frequently mentioned in the magazine.
I for one couldn't care less which seed company you deal with. Tuckers very clearly state how many seeds they supply it is you that has missed the information. There are two articles in the February Magazine one on Potatoes and the other on Cabbages and they both quote TUCKERS SEEDS as suppliers.
Mike asked a question and as far as I am concerned I anwered but to date we have had no specific answer from you but only one hell of a lot of rhetoric.
I answered Mikes question and I answered yours now you are and as I see it you are now arguing with yourself.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic