Hedges and lawn

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Bloaterfish
KG Regular

Hi, a general question about my garden, so I hope I have put this question in the right place. I had an operation some time ago which laid me up for a couple of months. Now that I am back on my feet again and surveying my garden that has really run away with itself. Is it a big no no to cut lawns and trim hedges at this time of year? Fortunately I got some friends to harvest all the veg for me but their time could not extend to any manual labour!
peter
KG Regular

The gardeners were mowing the grass outside the Houses of Parliament on Monday.

Provided it does not actually have frost or snow on it mowing of grass is OK pretty well all year nowadays.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Wellie
KG Regular

Hi Bloaterfish,

You don't say where you live at all. It doesn't matter TOO much, but it helps sometimes for us sad gits that have nothing better to do than try an help....!
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Bloaterfish,
ideally lawns should not be cut for a couple of days after a frost and should have at least the same after cutting to prevent too much discolouration. Try to cut on the highest setting your mower has and if using a rollered mower cut the ends where you are turning after the you have cut the rest of the lawn. I would also advise picking up the clippings as they will cause a build up of fungal and other problems if left at this time of year.
Cut late in the day if you can so the lawn is at its driest. If it is practical brush the lawn before cutting as this will scatter the worm casts.

It is really too late to cut most evergreen hedges but deciduous ones are fine.
Regards Sally Wright
Regards Sally Wright.
richard p
KG Regular

with hedges we leave as late as possible so the wildlife can harvest the berries over winter, but cut before the birds start nesting, feb or early march is ideal. plums are an exception they should only be trimmed when the sap is flowing to avoid silver leaf disease.

regarding lawns , dont cut in frosty weather or when the ground is too wet and soft, use a long setting on the mower, dont cut when the grass is sopping wet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic