Mayan Gold 'Legacy Potatoes'

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mjr600
KG Regular

These have to be on the list for next year..

www.shrunkurl.com?id=5500

www.shrunkurl.com?id=5499

www.shrunkurl.com?id=5498

www.shrunkurl.com?id=5497

I realise they are brand new and wonder when they will be released to home growers as seed potaotes.

If not what are the options when it comes to buying shop bought spuds and planting them up ?
The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil.
retropants
KG Regular

I'm sure I've seen these for sale in the T&M seed potato catalogue????? May just be a similar variety, but I'm sure they were called Mayan Gold. :?
Chantal
KG Regular

Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
mjr600
KG Regular

Jolly good, 'Add to Cart' for me then, thanks Chantal :-)
The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil.
Deb P
KG Regular

I have a vague memory that these were featured in a past KG mag, ? the gent who was trying EM last year? I only remember because he spoke about them alarmingly 'exploding' when boiled or fried, and didn't have a good word to say about them, I'll try and look up the article and confirm, darn this lousy memory of mine.... :roll:
Wellie
KG Regular

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm! They DO sound good....
I for one would love to try them. I've got the T&M cat through, so I'll have a looksy tomorrow.
They do sound good, but I'd love to hear what the article said though Debbie if you CAN locate it.
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Deb P
KG Regular

Found it! I knew i had read this again recently went looking for something else!

August 2005 pg61

"Peter Surridge reported on 'Inca Sun' in KG Feb 04. 'When boiled the potatoes exploded'. He didn't try making chips, but had he done so I think he would have found the same thing happening. Deep fried 'Mayan Gold' also exploded and produced not chips, but a single mass of fried mashed potato absolutely soaked in oil and quite inedible. The only possible way of cooking the potatoes was to bake them, and even then some of them exploded. Both varieties are actually of a slightly different species of potato, Solanum phureja rather than Solanum tuberosum. I wouldn't recommend them."

I guess I won't try them next year then!!! :cry:
Wellie
KG Regular

Thanks for that Bombshell Debbie....!
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Deb P
KG Regular

I wonder if it's worth buying some to try first if Tesco et al are supposedly stocking them now? I read the Anthony W-T recommendation for chipping them on one of the articles from the first post- no mention of explosions (but then I guess he wouldn't if he's being paid to publicise them!!)Might be worth a go!
Tigger
KG Regular

Oh dear. Maybe I'll have another look.......
Wellie
KG Regular

Good for Roasting and Mashing....

That's Brian Turner and Sylvana's verdict on tonights Great Food Live/Bites for this potato.

No mention of explosions !
Tigger
KG Regular

And Silvena said they tasted buttery, even though tere wasn't any butter on them. Mr Turner said they were very floury.

I think I'll give them a try after all. They sound like the Irish potatoes we had as kids.
madasafish
KG Regular

On SUnday's "The Food Program" on Radio Four.

You can listen from the BBC website...
mandylew
KG Regular

Just to revive this thread with some up to date experience. After roasting these and have only one explosion, I tried boiling them last night and opened the lid of the pan to find what looked rather like polenta!
Deb P
KG Regular

Dug my crop of these up yesterday, a fair crop but looking forward to cooking these (? steaming) later........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic