Slimly slugs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marge
KG Regular

I remember reading an article about slug control years ago. When asked for his preferred method of control this bloke put 'shotgun' :shock:
Reine de la cocina
Carole B.
KG Regular

I know what they're called round here...Gurt Big Orange Bu**ers!
Helen Nilsson
KG Regular

Over here in Sweden they are known as Spanish Murder slugs, as they are happy to eat other slugs as well as all the plants in the garden, latin name Arion lusitanicus. They are a serious problem and are an alien species. They can vary in colour from light brown to almost black, but should not be confused with forest slugs. Questions have actually been raised in parliament here, wondering what can be done about them. I use the garden clippers on any I find, after they had eaten all my lettuce and killed my courgettes, as well as eaten holes in my aubergines, I have no scruples about killing the horrible things!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Helen, big game hunting will take on a whole new perspective now. :shock: :wink:
Watch out big slugs, Helen is about. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

pure coincidence i dipped into a book on the cretan resistance this morning and found a reference to snail and grass stew being about the only food available during the winter of 42. aparently a lot of the islanders would have starved without it.
arthur e
KG Regular

Only a Cretin would do that Dick, Did they not think to add a bit of garlic and pretend slugs were allready shelled snails. :wink:
madasafish
KG Regular

We keep ALl our eggshels and find that crushed eggshells strewn round strawberries make an excellent deterrent.

I don't bother trying to kill them as our garden is surrounded on 2 sides by a very wet (complete with marshy bit) 20 acre field so it would be apointless job. And in the autumn the wood pigeons eat my lettuces before the slugs do:-(
Primrose
KG Regular

We get these giant slugs too, but I now get my own back and stick them on the bird table. They seem too big for the blackbirds and frogs to cope with but the magpies love them ! (Not that I really want to encourage magpies onto my bird table but I can't think of any other way of getting rid of them which ensures they don't simply slither back).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic