Loganberries

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

amo
KG Regular

Any advice on growing loganberries please?

Thank you everyone

amo
John
KG Regular

I'd be interested in the replies as well. Has anyone got any experience of other similar soft fruits such as the tayberry, tummelberry and the different sorts of cultivated blackberries. Are they worth growing or should I stick with the raspberries, currants and gooseberries that I've got at the moment.

John

PS Apologies Amo for partly hijacking your thread!
richard p
KG Regular

having grown both logan and tay berries, i prefer the tayberries , in our conditions the tay yields better and i think tastes better.regarding cultivated blackberries there seems to be a wide variation in size and taste. we have himalayan giant which are vigourous growers and spread everywhere, i keep threatening to grug them out but they do make a mean drop of wine.
amo
KG Regular

No Problem John, you can hijack as much as you want.

And thank you very much Richard P but it is already too late for me I already bought a Loganberries just wanted to know what to do with it now.

amo
madasafish
KG Regular

I have grown loganberries,tayberries , Himalayan Giant and other blackberries.
Apart from the Himalayan, I gave up on the rest as the flavour is not as good as rasps and you tend to get the cores stuck in the berries imo.. (we have 4 rows of rasps and pick around 25kg each year)

Soil treatment for all is similar, the Himalayans make good defences against kids who used to climb oer our fence into adjoining fileds.. they do not bother now as thorns are very strong and sharp..

Blackberries and pears make a lovely fruit salad.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Madasafish,
I would suggest that if the cores are getting left in the fruit then you are picking too early.
I feel that it is a case of personal taste but I have Tayberries, Loganberries and Blackberries and umpteen different Raspberries. My taste is that if these fruits are allowed to ripen properly then Tayberries, Loganberries and Blackberries are all far superior in taste to Summer varieties of Raspberries and on a par with Joan J Autumn Raspberries. This is the difficulty when trying to advise somebody. One mans meat is another mans poison!!
JB.
Carole B.
KG Regular

I've grown the old fashioned thorny loganberry for years,I got a rooted bit from my Dad who in turn got it from his Mum and so on! Cut it down to about 6" high now you've planted it and grow some nice canes during next year which will fruit the following year, after they've fruited cut them right down and tie in the canes it will have grown that year.You will need to tie the canes to wires as some of mine get 8-10 ft long and bear a heavy crop.I give the roots a top dressing of rotted compost heap in the autumn and then just let them get on with it.
If you want to make new plants then peg the tip of a new cane either down into the soil or to a pot and you will find they root easily.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Carole,
I acquired my Loganberry by the same the method and it is possible that mine might well go back to the original stock. Over the years they have been improved but as far as I can ascertain these improvements are only in the eye of the hybridizers.
I think my Loganberry have a wonderful flavour but can be tart if picked too early.
As for striking new plants; if you take one of the new canes and run it along the ground you can get a new plant from every pair of Axils by pegging it to the ground either side of the axils. Have produced then commercially that way.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic