Colour of leaves, Recurrants, Blackcurrants

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I have two redcurrant bushes, and one blackcurrant bush.

The leaves on the two redcurrant bushes have been a pale light green/yellow for two years whereas the blackcurrant bush leaves are consistently dark green.

Is this normal or are my redcurrant bushes lacking in something which is making the colour of the leaves lighter than they should be? If so, how can I correct the deficiency?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
May I enquire what feeding have you been giving them?
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

I planted them all with homemade compost dug in around the roots and in Spring they had a helping of garden-centre bagged composted stable manure forked in the earth about them, plus a light scattering of Rooster Booster poultry pellets.

I had a generous yield of fruit from both varieties of bush. It's just that the redcurrant bush leaves look very pale and anaemic compared with the blackcurrant bush leaves and I wondered whether they're are lacking some specific mineral or something else in the soil which perhaps blackcurrants don't need.
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
I think you're right when you say it's probably a deficiency problem. I would suspect either a lack of iron or, possibly, iron not being available to the plant because your soil is on the alkaline side. My soil is light and sandy and I've noticed this problem with soft fruits like raspberries and currants but blackcurrants seem less finicky. Without an adequate supply of iron the plant is unable to synthesise chlorophyll hence the pale colour of the leaves.
The answer is to apply a special type of soluble iron compound which you can get in the garden centres. It's called sequestered iron or chelated iron - look for words like chelate or EDTA in composition label. Its not cheap but the less expensive ordinary iron sulphate is not very effective in this situation. It's best applied in the spring as growth is restarting and one dose should last for a season. You need to repeat the treatment every year though.

John

PS When you say your plants are anaemic looking you might well have answered your question, without realising it!!!
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks John for your advice.
I'll try the sequestered iron route as our soil is light and stoney. Have already got some as I dose my rhodos and azaleas every year.
Guess it's too late to dose them now as they'll be losing their leaves soon and I wont be able to tell whether their tonic has made any difference.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic